Cheap 6n Track Day Car.

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
AshLeMacq
Bronze Member

Cheap 6n Track Day Car.

Post by AshLeMacq »

Well, I've decided that I'd enjoy going as fast as possible but without risking my licence. With that in mind and my previous lovely polo experience I've decided to buy a base 6n and turn it into a track day car as cheaply as possible for a bit of fun.

I'm going to pick myself up a <1k 1.4 or 1.6 CL. Strip the car entirely (excluding the dash board).

Fit a new bucket seat, stearing wheel, suspension, air filter, strut braces and discs/pads. Bob's your aunties husband. Track car for circa £2000.

The plan is to continually upgrade it as I go along. It'll be stuck on the drive unless I'm taking it to a track day but it's certainly going to be a bit of fun.

I was just wondering, it's been a while since I did any polo shopping. Has anyone got any advice about the best place to pick up performance parts for it?

Cheers very much

Ash
RandonGUY
Bronze Member

Re: Cheap 6n Track Day Car.

Post by RandonGUY »

http://www.venommotorsport.com/

Best site for performance parts, for standard ones use GSF or eBay.

:)
polo-sib
Gold Member

Post by polo-sib »

Best thing to do is the 6n 1.6 aee engine, i got the 1.4 8v, with insulated 4-2-1 manifolds, a modified airbox and cold feed also insulated at the moment and have just bought a 1.6 aee just recently, which I am refurbing.

The 1.6 has bigger ports for the extra torque :) it also means it can fit the 1.4 AEX pistons in, dropping compression to 8.4 with a 7psi limit, allowing you to go turbo. As the 1.6 I am refurbing is going to go turbo in the near future whilst I drive the 1.4 8v lump around. When complete then I will swap over :) Either way the 1.6 is a great start whether you are going to keep the whole natrally aspirated thing going, or whether you decide to turbo.

As far as performanc parts is concerned, Venom I find way to overpriced so shop around for manifolds etc via google and ebay. Like on ebay you can get good offers for manifolds and silicone parts, as for stuff like exhuasts and catalytics its probally better to get a custom one made from a local garage etc then splashing £400 on venom when you can get something better and custom for that price.
sc00byd00byd00
Getting There!

Post by sc00byd00byd00 »

AshLeMacq wrote:Well, I've decided that I'd enjoy going as fast as possible but without risking my licence. With that in mind and my previous lovely polo experience I've decided to buy a base 6n and turn it into a track day car as cheaply as possible for a bit of fun.

I'm going to pick myself up a <1k 1.4 or 1.6 CL. Strip the car entirely (excluding the dash board).

Fit a new bucket seat, stearing wheel, suspension, air filter, strut braces and discs/pads. Bob's your aunties husband. Track car for circa £2000.

The plan is to continually upgrade it as I go along. It'll be stuck on the drive unless I'm taking it to a track day but it's certainly going to be a bit of fun.

I was just wondering, it's been a while since I did any polo shopping. Has anyone got any advice about the best place to pick up performance parts for it?

Cheers very much

Ash
I planned on this mate on mine, but if your serious about using it as a track car, I think your better off with a Mk1 or Mk2 Golf tbh.

Although 6n's are fairly light, there aren't many good handling bits for them, I've researched and the only people that make rear arb's for the 6n's are a company called whiteline and they're based in Aus !!

I've spent a fair bit on mine now, including G60 brakes (front & rear inc a 22.2mm Master Cylinder) Ap Coilovers, plan to do BMC/CDA next, then a mandrel bent 4 branch cat bypass manifold followed by a custom powerflow exhaust, might even CAM and Chip it after that but i've pretty much resounded myself that its not powerful enough or good enough in the corners to be a serious track tool. I'm just doing these mods to keep me sane at the mo as its my only toy / fun thing until debts are paid off then I plan on starting either a Mk1 or Mk2 Golf track tool !