UPDATED: planning to sell... moving back to standard parts

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Si_GTi

UPDATED: planning to sell... moving back to standard parts

Post by Si_GTi »

Well, I guess I can go public with this :lol:

After tomorrow's Fast Show (I'm going with my local smapcc performance/modified cars forum), I am going to start prepping the Polo to put it up for sale :o

I just don't know what to ask for her! My mate says £3500 but I told him that was ridiculous... in brief its a modified daily-driver Polo GTi with 103,000 miles and 1 previous owner, full VWFSH, 11 months tax and 5 months MOT plus two new front Toyo T1R tyres, its sat over G60 steels at the moment (in financial terms I don't think it is worth me changing back to RX2s pre-sale) and its in pretty good nick. Most of you will know what it looks like :)

Just a couple of bits to swap back over before I sell, namely the aerial, de-locked door handles and stereo (and I have to remove the Parrot handsfree) but everything else will stay on the car ic. BMC, Powerflow, FK Konigsport Silverline X coilovers and genuine OEM aero wipers all round (Lupo GTI front, Polo Bluemotion rear).

I was thinking of asking for £3100... is this a bit wide of the mark?

Cheers!
tegwin
Gold Member

Re: Thinking of selling... unsure on asking price?

Post by tegwin »

IMHO, the problem with selling modified cars in this kind of class is that most of your potential buyers will struggle to get reasonable insurance.... took me months to find an un modified one so I could actually GET insurance!!!

£3500 sounds realistic to be honest with you.... Sell the mods sepperatly and you might fetch 4k?
emma_88
Gold Member
Drives: 6N2 Polo GTi & 9N3 Polo GTi

Post by emma_88 »

Sell the parts and put it fully back to standard. As tegwin said you'll get more.

I've been looking at Polos recently and TBH they haven't dropped in price at all I don't think.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

I want the powerflow and the aero wipers for the front :P
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Its a bit of a ballache to put it back to standard to be honest. I could remove almost everything other than BMC and Powerflow. I've still got the original airbox, engine cover and suspension (included in the sale, naturally) but to change it over requires a mechanic mate and half a day (£100) then the camber, tracking and alignment will need revising (£50ish) and the headlights computer-adjusted by a VW garage (£free-£30). I will end up spending so much that the extra cash generated by selling it standard, will have been wiped out by making it standard :lol:
tomo87
Platinum Member

Post by tomo87 »

nows obviously not a great time...i have been looking around and you can get a lot of car for your money and there is no way i would be spending over £3k on a polo gti but thats me.

youve got to start somewhere so no harm in sticking it up for £3500?
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

It is a bit of a poor time to sell but I'm in no rush. Just fancy a change after 5½ years of ownership. Will miss the go-kart handling though. Coilovers on the next car will be a serious consideration!
jason11
Platinum Member

Post by jason11 »

whooooo, cant believe ive just seen this si !

first dibs on black interior mirror :P if you'll split

try 3.5k you can always come down, can good luck matey
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

I'd say given the current climate and high milage £3.5k is a bit steep. I'd love to see you get that though, it's an extremely well looked after car from my point of view! I hate the fact that GTis are going for so cheap these days.
chrischap2003
Bronze Member

Post by chrischap2003 »

Hmmmm taking into the account of the recent economic downfall....and the overall drop in price of automobiles, including Polo Gti's may i add lol I think if you actually want it sold then the figure is likely going to be less than 3k am afraid :-(

Thers a guy local to me been trying to sell his for months with just over 100k on the clock and its a top notch example with heated leather...He wants 3.1k and doesnt look like he's came close to selling yet...

Its really depressing looking at the fall in prices of Gti's to be honest...I was thinking of selling mine and reverting back to a 106 (if you think the Polo handles well, you need to get behind the wheel of a 106 buddy, awesome to say the least! Polo hasnt got a patch on them handling wise lol) But it simply isnt worth the while because the Polo is overall a much better car and actually feels worth its money! And anyone buying a Polo at the moment will be laughing because they are awesomely priced!
emma_88
Gold Member
Drives: 6N2 Polo GTi & 9N3 Polo GTi

Post by emma_88 »

I bought my Polo for £3k back in September with only 54kmiles on it. I thoguht that was a bargain, but it's standard and errr not the best looked after.

I say put it up for £3.5, then when you get some divvy come along trying to haggle you can always go down to £3250, or even lower.
MaxZ
Platinum Member

Post by MaxZ »

I'd say 2.5k will get it gone guaranteed, it's very high mileage so that's what is going to put it down. It's not a spectacular car as such, just a GTi with little tweaks here and there, so I'd say advertise for 3.25k and see what people offer.
I really am in the same boat as you Si, so I'm going to have real trouble evaluating of what to advertise mine for.
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Maybe I should just keep it and get a new set of wheels to keep me happy :lol:
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Si_GTi wrote:Maybe I should just keep it and get a new set of wheels to keep me happy :lol:
Yes!

Wht happened to your multi-spokes?
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Still got the multispokes, but they don't fit. And spigot rings are not available. Looks like the wheels were machined for a specific centre bore and cannot be mated with a suitable set of spigot rings to fit them to a VW. Need to get a set of callipers and measure the actual centre bore to find out what they fit, then sling 'em on eBay.