MeTsU's 9N3 TDi - Sooty from South Africa

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
MeTsU
Bronze Member

MeTsU's 9N3 TDi - Sooty from South Africa

Post by MeTsU »

I took delivery of my 2005 Polo Sportline 1.9TDi, which I named Sooty, on Friday the 4th July 2008.

I need to get around to hosting new photo's, but here are some from when I first test drove her. Please excuse the dirty car. I haven't done much to her. The theme is OEM+.

There's only been a few changes since I bought her. I installed my Eibach 25/30mm springs that I purchased from the chairman of the VW Club of SA back in Oct last year. I picked them up from him the night before I moved back to Port Elizabeth. :D Thanks again mate for bringing them down on your journey to Durban. They were fitted within the week I got back. I need to upload some updated photo's ASAP! I'm currently running my Rockford Fosgate 9320 headunit, still incredibly happy with it. I was assisted in getting the cubby that goes below my HU (thanks :)), as my 6CD changer was removed due to being faulty. I'll probably add in the rest of my sound in the next coming weeks or so - LA Strike 4.400 amp & RF P2 12" - all of this was carried over from my Mk2 GTi. At a later date, I'll look to a decent set of splits. I might change my enclosure and sub too, as boot space is a major problem with the Sportlines.

As some of you might know, VW announced a recall on just under 5000 Sportlines, due to turbo failure. So Sooty was booked in and her 60k service and turbo campaign was done at the same time this past Monday - 20/04/2009. Was happy with the service I received from Market Square VW in Unitenhage. I did discover they damaged my battery cover, so that will be sorted in due course.

I've slowly become more and more interested in detailing, and after meeting a few enthusiasts, I started my kit in Durban. It's slowly grown and I've now got some decent odds and ends. Once Sooty's had some repairs done, I'll be giving her a couple hits with my Makita rotary, Menzerna SIP and FF, and I'll top it off with Chemical Guys Top Coat and Collinite 476.

Now that the turbo's done, there's a few things lined up to be done, one of which will be decat. As for the other mods...we'll have to wait and see. ;)

Good things come to those who wait. :) I want to take my time and enjoy things!

Last edited by MeTsU on Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MeTsU
Bronze Member

Re: MeTsU's 9N3 TDi - Sooty

Post by MeTsU »

I'm loving the new turbo and map. Far too many guys were stressing it was a detune, but hardly so. The spool up feels ever so slightly slower, maybe 100RPM, but the power is far more linear now as she pulls all the way to 4500RPM - used to fall off at 500RPM earlier. Soon it'll be time to Dimsport her, along with other supporting mods.

Here's a couple shots I took yesterday with my mobile. Please excuse the dirt, just thought I better post a few "updated" photos. :)

Rich_T
Gold Member

Re: MeTsU's 9N3 TDi - Sooty from South Africa

Post by Rich_T »

very nice mate, like those wheels :)
MeTsU
Bronze Member

Post by MeTsU »

Rich_T wrote:very nice mate, like those wheels :)
Thanks mate. :) I'm borrowing a set of 15mm spacers, to see how she sits. I'd like to try keep my std. splits, just the stance is wrong. I'm sure there's a bunch of guys who have used spacers on their std. splits - what sizes did you guys use?
whitegtipolo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by whitegtipolo »

20mm, and its needs mega lowerage to pull of spacers!
MeTsU
Bronze Member

Post by MeTsU »

whitegtipolo wrote:20mm, and its needs mega lowerage to pull of spacers!
:) I was just chatting to FaMeL. 20mm looks like the winner. I was hoping I could get a set of 20mm spacers all round in the mean time to try "help" the stance a little. Reckon I'm wasting my time until I go a lot lower? I know coils are definitely necessary, problem is just cost etc. A set of Vmaxx coils go for around R6500 if I recall correctly here, which is around GBP520 I think. A set of D2's (which I consider a lot better than Vmaxx) go for around R12000, so GBP900 odd.

I'd like to try keep my current splits, but if need be, I might have to look into a different set of wheels.
ryandel
Bronze Member

Post by ryandel »

dude vmaxx coils a dont think cost any more than £250.think you can get them for £180
whitegtipolo

Post by whitegtipolo »

ryandel wrote:dude vmaxx coils a dont think cost any more than £250.think you can get them for £180
weitech all the way had ta technics were major dangerous! :roll:
MeTsU
Bronze Member

Post by MeTsU »

Problem is this is South Africa. We don't have the greatest variety, we well as the exchange rate not in our favour. :( I'll have to do a little more homework and decide what I'm doing to do then...
MeTsU
Bronze Member

Post by MeTsU »

whitegtipolo wrote:weitech all the way had ta technics were major dangerous! :roll:
The way I understand it, is that Weitech are a "cheaper version" of the KW's?
whitegtipolo

Post by whitegtipolo »

MeTsU wrote:
whitegtipolo wrote:weitech all the way had ta technics were major dangerous! :roll:
The way I understand it, is that Weitech are a "cheaper version" of the KW's?
correct
whitegtipolo

Post by whitegtipolo »

extreme rear end lift!!!
aaronon
Gold Member

Post by aaronon »

Why do Volkswagen make them so high? . . there's no need for that gap.
MeTsU
Bronze Member

Post by MeTsU »

whitegtipolo wrote:extreme rear end lift!!!
Hey hey hey... it's got rake from the factory! BWHAHAHA! :mrgreen:
MeTsU
Bronze Member

Post by MeTsU »

Decided to remove my 1.9TDi badge from the tailgate. I know, a small thing not really worth mentioning. :P I was going to take it off when I detailed my car in a couple weeks time, but decided to get it off now. I'll more than likely be going black on both the front and rear badges.