FOX or BBS?

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
FOXtrot
New

FOX or BBS?

Post by FOXtrot »

Hi everyone, im new to this forum and i was just wondering who makes better wheels out of BBS and FOX? My friend at KFC says that FOX are much better and will give me a much better street rep... Also, which are cooler? neons under my car or on the hood?

thanx in advance
gtimike
New

Post by gtimike »

bbs matey as fitted by vw as new and much more desirable!!!!! :lol:
toXXin

Post by toXXin »

LMAO! Your friend at KFC has to be right, because he has the coolest job in the world! :roll:

What would you rather wear...Donnay or Armani?

The coolest place for neons is either in the bin or in the shop you were thinking of buying them from.
madmatt

WOULD YOU LIKE FRIES WITH THAT

Post by madmatt »

come on evey one knows that fox alloys are for wanna be boy racers there SH*T bbs are the ones to go for same with any of the other top makes like OZ , WOLFRACE ETC AND FOR NEONS DONT DO IT COME IF YOU GO TO A CRUSE WHO OUT OF THE PEOPLE DOWN THERE ACTULLY GOT THEM U GOT IT WANNA BE BOY RACER IN THE 1.0 FIESTA WITH A 2.0 V6 BADGE SLAP ON THE BACK AND A STUPID CHERRY BOMB STICKING OUT THE ARSE END AND THE AMOUT OF PEOPLE I HEAR SAYS MY MATE SAYS YOUR A FOOL TO LISTEN OK I STEP DOWN FROM MY SOAP BOX
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

OK, I'm no authority on this as my wheels are and will remain standard VW parts, but as for your choice of wheels I'd say forget your street rep for a moment, only a complete fool will judge you on who made your wheels. Find a set of alloys that you like the look of and that suit your car, buy them - you'll have more street rep by having a decent looking car than by having a ridiculous looking machine with wheels that someone you know said are cool.

And as for neons.. please, please don't. In my opinion all they're good for is completely distracting people at night.. they're tacky, garish and tasteless. However, if your heart is set on having them, just at least put them somewhere not too distracting.
FOXtrot
New

Post by FOXtrot »

ok i showed this to my friend and he says you obviously know nothing about cars....he talks to hundreds of people per day you know!
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Hah, fair enough :) I don't dispute that your friend probably knows a lot more about wheels than me, but I wouldn't say someone doesn't know about cars just because they don't know about alloy wheels :wink: Anyway.. my advice still stands at go with whatever you'd prefer to have on your car, if that happens to be what your friend advises then go for it.
madmatt

what the f**k

Post by madmatt »

i think your mate is a t**t and he needs to remove his head from his own arse
david burton
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by david burton »

hahah this post is funny.

fox? hmmm. some of their wheels are ok and would look good on a polo. But the same wheel would be better under a BBS name without question. go kick your KFC mate in the nuts - before he breeds. 8)

Us VW owners are notoriously different in the modding world than other people - we tend to go for subtle, cunning mods that make the car look understated but very, very nice - purposeful without shouting out "RACE ME". We don't rip off the front bumper and shove 18 acres of mesh there along with a fake intercooler because we haven't heard of the phrase "less is more".

Wheels eh? BBS actually developed THE 2 piece wheel - to replace 3 piece. They have history. They have quality.

Not all wheels are the same, from a website I found (quoted below). Note the reference to the BBS wheel in the spun-rim section. I don't think FOX alloy wheels are quite there yet - prove to me they aren't low-pressure casted or even gravity-casted. 40 quid a wheel? p-lease!

GRAVITY CASTING

Gravity casting is the most basic process of pouring molten aluminum into a mold utilizing the earth’s gravity to fill the mold. Gravity casting offers a very reasonable production cost and is a good method for casting designs that are more visually oriented or when reducing weight is not a primary concern. Since the process relies on gravity to fill the mold, the aluminum is not as densely packed in the mold as some other casting processes. Often gravity cast wheels will have a higher weight to achieve the required strength.

• LOW PRESSURE CASTING

Low pressure casting uses positive pressure to move the molten aluminum into the mold quicker and achieve a finished product that has improved mechanical properties (more dense) over a gravity cast wheel. Low-pressure casting has a slightly higher production cost over gravity casting. Low pressure is the most common process approved for aluminum wheels sold to the O.E.M. market. Low-pressure cast wheels offer a good value for the aftermarket as well. Some companies offer wheels that are produced under a higher pressure in special casting equipment to create a wheel that is lighter and stronger than a wheel produced in low pressure. Once again in the quest for lighter weight, there is a higher cost associated with the process.

• SPUN-RIM, FLOW-FORMING OR RIM ROLLING TECHNOLOGY

This specialized process begins with a low pressure type of casting and uses a special machine that spins the initial casting, heats the outer portion of the casting and then uses steel rollers pressed against the rim area to pull the rim to its final width and shape. The combination of the heat, pressure and spinning create a rim area with the strength similar to a forged wheel without the high cost of the forging. Some of the special wheels produced for the O.E.M. high performance or limited production vehicles utilize this type of technology resulting in a light and strong wheel at a reasonable cost. BBS has used this technology for several years in their production of racing wheels for Formula One and Indy cars. BBS's RC wheel for the aftermarket is an example of a wheel produced using spun rim technology. Speedline wheels, produced with "Flow-Forming" technology are another example.

• FORGED OR SEMI-SOLID FORGED

In forged wheels, computer numerically controlled (CNC) mills add the cosmetics and the bolt circle to exacting tolerances.
The ultimate in one-piece wheels. Forging is the process of forcing a solid billet of aluminum between the forging dies under an extreme amount of pressure. This creates a finished product that is very dense, very strong and therefore can be very light. The costs of tooling, development, equipment, etc., make this type of wheel very exclusive and usually demand a high price in the aftermarket. Semi-solid forging (SSF) is a process that heats a billet of special alloy to an almost liquid state and then the aluminum is forced into a mold at a very high rate. The finished product offers mechanical properties very similar to a forged wheel without the high production and tooling costs of a forged wheel. When low weight and performance are on your priority list, the SSF technology offers an excellent value. Currently only SSR (Speed Star Racing) from Japan is licensed to use this process for the production of wheels.

p.s. as for neons - i think they would look better under the hood. and not turned on.
toXXin

Post by toXXin »

FOXtrot wrote:ok i showed this to my friend and he says you obviously know nothing about cars....he talks to hundreds of people per day you know!
Yes but does he talk to these hundreds of people about cars? I think he talks to hundred of people asking if they want ice in their Pepsi, or fries with their manky chicken.

Your friend's an asshat. :roll:
Phoenix
Bronze Member

Post by Phoenix »

i'm sorry but i sell wheels every day and i wouldn't even think about buying Fox if i had a choice between them and BBS.

i'll own a car one day that will take the BBS LM :D