Twin weber questions

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
Phoenix
Bronze Member

Twin weber questions

Post by Phoenix »

1. i'm getting some off an XR2 what do i need to convert them for the polo

2. wheres the best place for manifolds

3. how the hell do they work

4. how do you adjust them or how do they work in general.

any help would be very appreciated as i'm very good with the pierburg carb at the moment but have never had a weber let alone twin webers :)

P.S. its an 1988, 1297cc if thats any help
optima21
Sponsor

Post by optima21 »

well there is someone selling a twin 40's setup on porka in the classifieds section, but I beleive the carbs need setting up, so that could easliy cost £300 for rejetting and setting up on top of the price of manifolds and the carbs in the first place.

so to get a set of carbs and to get them running correctly may cost you £500
Phoenix
Bronze Member

Post by Phoenix »

i'm getting a set off one of my mates for £100 but like i said its off an XR2
hayesey
Silver Member

Post by hayesey »

well, XR2s are 1600s so you'll probably need the carbs re-jetting & setting up which could cost lots.

you are best off looking for a 2nd hand pair that are already jetted for a 1300. Even if they cost a bit more to buy you'll save a fortune on setup costs.
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

It doesnt matter what you get the carbs off, they wil need setting up regardless.
Phoenix
Bronze Member

Post by Phoenix »

right ok they will need setting up i know that but just some general info on them would be nice as like i said i've never owned a set

all info very much appreciated
optima21
Sponsor

Post by optima21 »

well what sort of things do you want to know?

they will drink petrol unless sorted

you may get bad carb icing in winter

you wont have enough space to use air filters

you may need to get an electric fuel pump

parts are expensive as you need 4 of everything, as its like having 4 separate carburettors (one for each cylinder)

you will probably need a set of linkages for the accellorator cable.

you will need to tell your insurance company that they're fitted.

when you fit the ones to your car from the xr2, they will probably run like s**t, and drink gallons of petrol.

The linkages between the carbs can go out of sync and require adjusting regularly, as otherwise it screws your idling up.

ohhh and you can brag that you've got some twin 40's

but then again I've got 2 sets of twin 40's, 1 set of twin su's, 1 twin choke webber and one stromberg carb in my attic, but they aint going anywhere near my polos

anything else you want to know in general?
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

optima21 wrote:well what sort of things do you want to know?

they will drink petrol unless sorted

you may get bad carb icing in winter

you wont have enough space to use air filters

you may need to get an electric fuel pump

parts are expensive as you need 4 of everything, as its like having 4 separate carburettors (one for each cylinder)

you will probably need a set of linkages for the accellorator cable.

you will need to tell your insurance company that they're fitted.

when you fit the ones to your car from the xr2, they will probably run like ****, and drink gallons of petrol.

The linkages between the carbs can go out of sync and require adjusting regularly, as otherwise it screws your idling up.

ohhh and you can brag that you've got some twin 40's

but then again I've got 2 sets of twin 40's, 1 set of twin su's, 1 twin choke webber and one stromberg carb in my attic, but they aint going anywhere near my polos

anything else you want to know in general?
Pure class - just pure class - saved me the job of posting exactly the same mind you I'm collecting twin 45's but need 3 sets for my six pot track day tool - wouldn't put em anywhere near a polo either...... Still chuckling at a great Summary!!!!
Domster
New

Post by Domster »

Why are you so against twin carbs on a Polo?

So they need a little maintenance....so be it
optima21
Sponsor

Post by optima21 »

Im not against twin 40's but is seems quite expensive when they can cost as much as the rest of the car.

for £500 quid for a setup of twin 40's you could get a mk3 GT engine and box and have a fast road cam in too, together with a performance chip.

Im just pointing out that if you're getting a set of twin 40's for £100, thats only the start of your worries and not the end of them.

In my opinion twin 40's will not reach their full potential on an otherwise standard engine, so you need to get other things done first and fitting these should be the final part of modifying the engine.

If you get some twin 40's and spend around £500 iincluding rejetting etc, and then fit a flowed head and a decent cam, you'll then have to get them rejetted, so thats praobaly cost at least over £100.

What we're trying to do is to inform people so that they make the right decisions for what they want.
Domster
New

Post by Domster »

You'd have to be a fool to do it to a near standard engine :roll:

I don't see what the fuss is about setting the jets - I'm not having ago and I don't know everything, but I really wouldn't pay anywhere near £100 to get it done - takes about an hour max, on a Mk2 anyway. I spose it depends on the engine though
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

as for manifolds i got quoted £600 for a full custom tubular manifold
Deevub
Getting There!

Post by Deevub »

check ebay mate, inlet manifolds are available from £80 upwards. Yep setting up the twins will need a day at the rollers & re-jetting most likley but hey if you love your car that much & want to do it then go for it. The will need to be retuned twice a year to keep the fueling/idle running sweet but they do roar really nice! I got a lift in mk2matt's with twin webbers & str8-thru exzaust & 2 hours on the motorway was deafening!!!

speak to him on porka.net if you want any advice mate.
madmatt

hmmmmmmm

Post by madmatt »

:? personaly as much as they sound nice and CAN make it go better you will be turning a very economical car in to a thursty fuel guzzler after you spent the £300 odd quid on the parts u will need for it and do to it its gonna cost probly twice as much as u pay on fuel a week oh yeah one other things there is know point in fitting twin 40s to a engine if you aint gonna do the rest becouse you are just gonna make it slower

the other things i am on about are you give a engine more air and fuel u need to port polish and gass flow just to get the extra amount in to your motor then theres the bigger valves and the high lift cam and the list goes on if u change 1 thing you will need to change the others and thats an expensive game :roll: sorry if i upset anyone but thats the way it is
Deevub
Getting There!

Post by Deevub »

what you say is true to a pint, Ive been in Mk2matts polo with the only major engine mods being twin webers & aftermarket derestricted exhaust manifold & str8 thru system he saw a increase from 55 standard to 75/6bhp on the rollers, on a percentage basis that is quite a fair hike I think for the money.

Idealy some head work, a wilder cam & other bits can be done, it depends how far you want to take it & how much doller you want to throw at it. It might be worth looking at dropping a G lump in there as there have been a few on e bay recently but then you got to worry about the loom, charger, gearbox etc.

I was going to do up a low milage (33k) 1.3 lump I put in a mk2 coupe shell but then I worked it all out & it's going to work out better for me to get a Mk3 G (even though my best polo will always be the 2) and give the coupe to my lady as shes got her test soon!

Good luck with the project dude & keep us up to date!
cheers Tim.