Cannot remove window winders

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
avo
New

Cannot remove window winders

Post by avo »

Hello there,

So im not an expert on cars so please don't ask me too technical questions but this is my car:

VOLKSWAGEN POLO E 2000-2002 1.0 3 door.

One of my speakers has blown out in my right side driver door and so i've bought a new set with a bit more power. This afternoon I tried to get the door panels off with quite a bit of success aside from one silly concept; the window winders! Now I've read up on as many guides as possible as too how to remove them. In most cases for the polo all you have to do is point the winder downward/upward and slide the spacer clip behind it upward for it to unclip and the winder can be removed.

For my car it seems similar, I push the spacer clip upwards and it clicks but the winder does not want to come off at all. I cant see any obvious screws or other clips. I was wondering if anybody else had the knowledge? Ya know? to get the job sorted ;)

Cheers
Polo96CL
Platinum Member

Re: Cannot remove window winders

Post by Polo96CL »

Have you pulled the clip up, and then given the winder a good tug outwards towards you?
avo
New

Post by avo »

I have indeed. I mean I really pulled on them but they dont seem to want to move. So I am reasonably sure there is something else holding them in place, any ideas?
Polo96CL
Platinum Member

Post by Polo96CL »

I've no experience with the 6n2 winders unfortuantly but my girlfriend does have a lupo. From what I can gather, there is a screw which holds them to the door, the cap pops off and you can screw it back down.
racerjonzo
Silver Member

Post by racerjonzo »

the pushing of the little spacer bit behind the winder should do it, but wat i would do is get a wide flat head screwdriver and place it in between the winder and spacer, then twist slowly, hopefully prising it off, once off id give it a wee scoosh of WD40 ;)

if all else fails, break out a hammer :P and buy a new winder bit
kingsleysaywell
Silver Member

Post by kingsleysaywell »

use a screwdriver and undo the screw :)
Ben VW
New

Post by Ben VW »

You've probably done it but for anyone else with a 00 - 01, you just have to pry off the part of the handle that connects the twisty bit to the actual door panel. It just peals back likre a covering; the screw is under that.