Pedal Box Creaking

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
justjamie
New

Pedal Box Creaking

Post by justjamie »

My clutch pedal creaks when i press and release the clutch pedal sometimes. the clutch is also really sloppy and doesnt feel like its doin its job at all.
Now i was gona go and buy a new clutch but after lookin throught the forums a bit more thoroughly, i see it COULD be the pedal box as these were a recall item on the polos.

Now my questions are, how much am i lookin at for buyin a new pedal box or where is the best place to get one from. theres a scrappy near me that has 2 polo gtis in at the moment, bt dnt wana go n get the pedal box off one if its jus gona do the same, or should i go main dealers and pay out the ass?

Secondly, if its the clutch, wheres the best place to get one an whats the best manufacturer to get one from.

Many Thanks

Jay
justjamie
New

Re: Pedal Box Creaking

Post by justjamie »

and i only brought the car last friday :(

would vw still do this as a recall and whats the usual bill if any?

cheers again
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

If you are gonna get a new pedal box, buy a brand new one and get it reinforced if you can!

VW may do it under warranty - youll have to beg though as these cars are getting old now, and goodwill gestures only go so far in a vehicles lifespan

Normal cost for pedal box is about £250-£300 as there is so much work involved. The box itself is only £30!

Where did you get the car from?
justjamie
New

Post by justjamie »

cheers buddy. i got the car from someone dwn essex way. felt ok at first, then i noticed when i didnt have my stereo on that the clutch pedal had started to creak an the clutch was really sloppy.

as for the pedal box, if theyre only £30, ill go and order one today and ive got a mate that can weld and should be able to fit the pedfal box too for around £50-£100.

am i right in thinkin its a hard job to do tho?

cheers
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Ah fair play mate not a dealer then

Its fiddly as hell, plus you have to remove the whole steering column, a couple of shearbolts, and the existing box. Its a few good hours of work. Not one to be taken on unless you are confident thats for sure.
justjamie
New

Post by justjamie »

im gonna ring the main dealers in a minute and see what they say i think.
ive seen in the gti thread that some dealers are doin it free of chrage as its a recall item, bt sayin that, id be happy with a bill of between £100-£200 if its gona fix the problem, jus dnt wana do the pedal box then find out its the clutch as ill be payin out the same again :(

i must admit, after readin thru the froum on this matter, im startin to wonder if i shud keep the polo once its done.
its alovely car to drive an i really do like it, bt i jus sold my mk1 golf because of maintenance bills, n they werent even expensve ones alot of the time, so looks like i could be in a worse position :(
justjamie
New

Post by justjamie »

No outstanding recall issue on my car VW said which means ill be payin for it by the looks :(
gota take it over for a check over and to diagnose the problem then theyre gona supply me with a price for the work :(

may just get on to it myself
A-brownpolo91
New

Post by A-brownpolo91 »

I've had the exact same problem on my 6n2 mate, happened only a few weeks ago, took it to volkswagen to ask for a goodwill gesture nd they said they could do it for 400 quid inc. labour, so me and my dad bought a brand new box nd shear bolts for 44 quid and fixed it ourselves, it runs an absolute dream now mate, so i don't think theres any point in selling it when it's done :)