Front Window Tint Limits?

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Karson3270
Silver Member

Front Window Tint Limits?

Post by Karson3270 »

Hi there guy's, I've got my back windows tinted and I really like the results, now I want my fronts doing.

I have been doing soem research, most sites say that the front windows must allow 70% - 75% light pass through. And some say it's illegal. Same for the windscreen, must let 70% - 75% light pass through, but as for the windscreen MOST say it is ILLEGAL to do.

Been doing quite a bit of research but I haven't found a definate answer.

I also heard you could get a £30 for the fronts which isn't that bad at all. But for the windscreen I heard you could the car impounded, which is a b*tch. :P

As I said, I can't find a definate answer and really want it doing, So any help, suggestions, websites, advice... ANYTHING.. Would be a help! :P

Cheers guys!
kc
Gold Member
Drives: an imaginary one... for now

Re: Front Window Tint Limits?

Post by kc »

its illegal now to have front tinted windows... but most poeple have them anyway so meh...

as for the windscreen ive had a 50% tint on mine which is the lightest - but still couldnt see s**t at night properly so took it off...

as for £30 for front windows - yes for a first time offender - but get caught again and its 3 points and unlimited fines! erk!
kingsleysaywell
Silver Member

Post by kingsleysaywell »

window on the fornt 3 have to let a minimum of 70% light in ( or 30% tint ) whatever way you want to look at it so its really quite light most cars come standard tint with at least 15% on the front 3 windows.

i got pulled last month but didnt get any fine they just took the tints off :(
Karson3270
Silver Member

Post by Karson3270 »

Is it worth me getting it done? I mean, how likely is it to get pulled? Also what did they say to you?

Thanks guys.
zedzo
Gold Member

Post by zedzo »

accordin to the law your allowed 70% light in the front and im pretty sure the windscreen is illegal however u can have a sunstrip. the polos are already slightly tinted if you pay attention to it so. if your adding even the light tint which is 30% to let 70% light through + the tint thats already on the car your looking at a higher % of tint. so i think thats illegal too. unless you get like 8% tint LOL
Karson3270
Silver Member

Post by Karson3270 »

Ahh I get you. Is there a way to check the % light input through your windows? Or would I need a specific instrument to do so?
zedzo
Gold Member

Post by zedzo »

ye put your face really close to the window, then close your eyes and think of a number between 0 and 15

:lol:

only joking you need to buy a light thingy tool i think there on ebay. i dont no the name tho.
kingsleysaywell
Silver Member

if you have a polo 6n2 i guess it would be the same as mine 20% tint on the windscreen standard and 18% tint on the side windows standard

they said to me i have 3 options

-take the tint off there and then ( which i did )
-they give me a fine etc and take the tint off
-the 2 above and take my car away as it is seen as unroadworthy

but i doubt you would get pulled im the only one i know to have got caught so obv i wouldnt do it again, id say go for it or get 90% tint on the back 3 which then makes the front look dark anyways as mines still fairly dark with 75% on the back

look on my pics on facebook :)
Karson3270
Silver Member

Post by Karson3270 »

Yeah, true, I've not heard anyone who's been pulled yet. I'm still debating at the moment, I mean you may have got a sound cop, but if I get a tw*t, then I'm f**k*d :P

What's your facebook so I can ad you, or give me a link.
RITCHAT
Gold Member

Post by RITCHAT »

Saturday I asked the vosa guys who were stopping people in their cars with the help of plod traffic cops. What they had to say on the subject is as follows . Front windows ie the windscreen can not touch at all from manufacturers original spec. front side windows including cars that have the small 1/4 window again do not change as they will stop you and if you have tints on it they will do 1 of these things. place a prohibition order on your car this means you can not use it till you get it back to road legal ie original factory spec. 2 if you can remove the tints there and then, they will make you do it and charge you for the priviledge. Charge you any way as the car is in their opinion not road legal and to use their words would you wear sunglasses at night ...fair comment I guess.

The back glass is a different matter you can go black as black can be if you want even weld the back up completely like a van if you so wish.

Whilst I was asking them what is the situation regards tinting of the glass they had just pulled a subaru in and made him take the tints off whilst they stood and watched him.

What they did say however is that they only have a handful of officers that are trained adequately to do this type of stopping for tinted windows as not all the traffic are trained and therefore cant touch you. But if you are in a crash then the insurance will not pay out even if you have told them of this modification as the car becomes illegal for road use so BEWARE my friends you have the knowledge now to avoid any embarrassment.
Karson3270
Silver Member

Post by Karson3270 »

Thanks RITCHAT. That's cleared up a lot of things for is! Thanks
kingsleysaywell
Silver Member

my facebook just search my name should work today although i couldnt and other people couldnt get on my facebook over the weekend but should be fine now :)