Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
Josh_6n2_Polo
Silver Member

URGENT HELP NEEDED!

Post by Josh_6n2_Polo »

URGENT HELP NEEDED!
URGENT HELP NEEDED!
URGENT HELP NEEDED!

Hey guys got my shark fin aerial through the post today and am eager to install it does anybody know how to?

Cheers!
quiksilveralex
Bronze Member

Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED!

Post by quiksilveralex »

Alright Bud

Right it’s a nice easy job although you have to be careful not to bend the headlining too much as it will result in a nasty crease in the headlining.

So as guided by the trusty Haynes manual the first step I did was to remove the top trim piece (if you open the tailgate its the piece directly in front of you). This just unclips ...when I fitted mine i think I just did it with my hands but be warned its well clipped in.

Once this trim piece is unclipped it’s just a case of bending it slightly to allow it to slide out of the C-Pillar trim pieces. The next step I did was to unclip the upper sections of the C-pillar trims, I cant remember exactly but I think I may of undid the rear seatbelt upper bracket "thing" to allow more of the C-pillar to be unclipped.

Once done I just carefully lowered the rear headlining down thus allowing enough access to the nut on the bottom of the aerial and connections.

The jobs a bit of fiddle but no wear near as much hassle as it would be to remove the whole headlining. Just remember not to bend/lower the headlining to much as it will crease!

Hope this helps

Alex
Josh_6n2_Polo
Silver Member

Post by Josh_6n2_Polo »

KK thanks mate, I'll try tommrow it's a tad dark now !
BIG RHYS
Gold Member

Post by BIG RHYS »

Hay josh i aint go a shark fin aerial but i did fit a new aerial base on mien not long ago it is real easy 2 take the standard one of..

You first need to remove the plastic trim by the boot which holes the roof lining up it jsut un clips if you give it a pull ..

then reach in side between the roof lining and the roof of the car find the bolt which holds the the aerial on then with a adjustable spanner to undo the bolt :D job done it is tricky coz of the limited space you will have.. hope that makes sense :D
BIG RHYS
Gold Member

Post by BIG RHYS »

quiksilveralex wrote:Alright Bud

Right it’s a nice easy job although you have to be careful not to bend the headlining too much as it will result in a nasty crease in the headlining.

So as guided by the trusty Haynes manual the first step I did was to remove the top trim piece (if you open the tailgate its the piece directly in front of you). This just unclips ...when I fitted mine i think I just did it with my hands but be warned its well clipped in.

Once this trim piece is unclipped it’s just a case of bending it slightly to allow it to slide out of the C-Pillar trim pieces. The next step I did was to unclip the upper sections of the C-pillar trims, I cant remember exactly but I think I may of undid the rear seatbelt upper bracket "thing" to allow more of the C-pillar to be unclipped.

Once done I just carefully lowered the rear headlining down thus allowing enough access to the nut on the bottom of the aerial and connections.

The jobs a bit of fiddle but no wear near as much hassle as it would be to remove the whole headlining. Just remember not to bend/lower the headlining to much as it will crease!

Hope this helps

Alex
ha beat me to it and alot more detailed :P
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

you MUST remove the rear grab handles, or you will CREASE the headlining and it will never go back to how it was before. Trust me - learned from my mistake!
Josh_6n2_Polo
Silver Member

Post by Josh_6n2_Polo »

I really could do with some pictures or I'll know ill cock it up!
I-Roo
Bronze Member

Post by I-Roo »

if i get time tomorrow ill make a photo guide its very simple..
Josh_6n2_Polo
Silver Member

Post by Josh_6n2_Polo »

Ok thanks mate.
Josh_6n2_Polo
Silver Member

Post by Josh_6n2_Polo »

:(
Bradley
Gold Member

Post by Bradley »

Have you managed to fit this yet dude?.
Josh_6n2_Polo
Silver Member

Post by Josh_6n2_Polo »

Nope not yet mate ;(
I-Roo
Bronze Member

Post by I-Roo »

okay i didn't get round to getting any pictures as i forgot i had a game of golf to be played :/ ad was reminded at collage today... so basically im not taking any responsibility if you break anything lol.

1. remove your blow up Gf and stuff form your boot and pull back the carpet on each side that's vertical
2. you want to take the small shelf's out I believe its just got two small torx bolts.
3. un bolt the top of the rear seatbelts and pull off the rear pillars (cant remember if i had to pull out the seatbelts but if they bolt onto the pillar do soo.
4. remove the two rear "Jesus handles" (roof handle things)
5. now the roof lining should be free i had to use a small trowel to kind of easy it off, as it was glued on with some form of adhesive..
6. MAKE SURE your roof lining is supported and DO NOT BEND/FOLD the roof lining as you will highly regret it!
7. there will eb a large bolt with a wire coming out of it and there should also be a connector on the wire unplug this and undo the bolt
8. the base aerial mount should just pull out...
9. bolt the new aerial mount using the bolt you took off or if there's one in the box use that..
10. plug in the wiring if you have to put both pieces and connect them make sure the middle wire is not touching any of the outer brass wire if you have to do this.

OKAY now its just the simple task of putting everything back together... :P
its a rough guideline i don't think ive missed anything but i do know there was some other small bolts i had to take out but i cant remember were they might be on the pillars. :P

I hope this helps.
Josh_6n2_Polo
Silver Member

Post by Josh_6n2_Polo »

LOL, appreciate your help mate. But still have no idea how to do it!

Is there anyway you can like saw off the orignal aerial and replace it with the shark fin lolol?

Cheers
I-Roo
Bronze Member

Post by I-Roo »

rofl super glue it to ur bonnet n take the wire in threw ur window and go threw ur dash n plug it straight into the media unit :P

Were did u order ur shark fin from? im tempted to buy one and if i do ill probably do a detailed guide of installing tht?

NOTE: please don't super glue it to your bonnet ;) would be funny but hideous lol