mark-o-polo's 6n2 GTi - FOR SALE

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
mark-o-polo
New

mark-o-polo's 6n2 GTi - FOR SALE

Post by mark-o-polo »

Hi everyone,

Been meaning to get this done for ages, so here it is!

Bought the car in February last year via the for sale section of this website. Previous owner "92 rocks" had kept the car immaculate.

Looked like this when I got it

As an added bonus, the sale included a set of 4 fully refurbed RXii's which had only had summer use

The car also had a couple of subtle mods such as front aero wipers and shortened door pins.

As much as I liked the RXii's, I've always been a fan of one particular wheel, so decided to sell the summer wheels in order to raise funds.

Again uk-polos came up trumps and "Owen JT" took them of my hands, just as my wheels of choice appeared for sale half an hour down the road. However, I didn't think the factory 4x4 set up would suit, so I went over to the darkside (club polo) and got a 60/40 kit from Phil J, before buying the following;

One of the previous owners was an Audi service manager and the car had some Audi plate surrounds, which were pretty faded and didn't really look right, so I got a new set from Dubmeister. I know these aren't to everyones taste, but I think they fit in quite well with the look of the car and are a quick fix if I ever change my mind, although I did try to choose a less common style of surround

The only change I might make is to cut off the black clips at the top and see if I can use some tape or sticky fixers to hold the plates in place, with a neater finish.

At this stage the car looked like this,

To keep the car tidy I did a few other bits such as replacing the driver's door grab handle & insert, replacing the GTi badge on the grille and the aeriel gasket on the roof. I also swapped the "fishing rod" for a stubby ariel at the same time. One of my headlamp washer covers snapped off so I replaced that and the car stayed pretty much the same as the winter approached. I put the standard RXii's on for the winter, but replaced the VW centre caps as they had suffered the usual bubbling effect. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures with the standard wheels on but I'm sure you can imagine what it looked like anyway.

Once the weather improved i put the Ronals back on and decided a couple of subtle changes were needed. Firstly I painted the front VW badge black and removed the GTi badge from the grille. I then debadged the Polo and GTi from the boot, but the paint underneath is noticeably different if you are any where close to the car, so I need to decide if I'm going to get this sorted or put the badges back on!

At present the car looks like this

Oh and nearly forgot - made myself a key ring :wink:

Future plans are for a stubby and a passat aero wiper for the rear and possibly an after market HU that 1)I can connect my ipod to and 2) Doesn't have random tantrums where all it will do is say "CD error" and beep. The car also has a couple of paint chips etc which could do with looking at.

Comments welcome!
Last edited by mark-o-polo on Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Godderz23
Platinum Member

Re: mark-o-polo's 6n2 GTi progress thread

Post by Godderz23 »

Car looks very nice dude. Almost bought some ronals for mine, red always looks nice when it's shining..! :D
mark-o-polo
New

Post by mark-o-polo »

Thanks - Initially I wanted a silver one, but when I saw this one I changed my mind instantly.

And the red ones are faster...ha ha!
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Nice car mate, I like what you have done so far, looks really clean & tidy.

Ronal Turbo wheels are class. Firestone Firehawke SZ80's are awesome tyres, they last forever 8)
Godderz23
Platinum Member

Post by Godderz23 »

mark-o-polo wrote:
Future plans are for a stubby and a passat aero wiper for the rear and possibly an after market HU that 1)I can connect my ipod to and 2) Doesn't have random tantrums where all it will do is say "CD error" and beep. The car also has a couple of paint chips etc which could do with looking at.

Comments welcome!
Id recommend an alpine headunit, had them in my last 3 cars, never had a problem with any of them.

I usually get them from caraudiosecurity.com fairly priced and quick dispatch :wink:
mark-o-polo
New

Post by mark-o-polo »

Well, just a quick update. Had the car serviced this week as it's just shy of the 90k mark now.

All seems to be running fine (touch wood).

Have also ordered the bits from TPS today to do the rear wiper upgrade, which will hopefully be fitted in the next few days.

Pics to follow
mark-o-polo
New

Post by mark-o-polo »

Fitted the upgraded rear wiper last week.

Had a bit of a problem with the blade being too long and cathching the roof spoiler mid-sweep, but managed to put an additional notch in the blade so more of it "sits inside" the wiper arm, which seems to have rectified the problem.

Just a quick phone pic

Excuse the dirt, but it won't stop raining :(

I did manage a quick interior clean at work today and took advantage of the car being in the work unit to get a slightly different photo angle. Again, apologies for phone picture, but you get the idea!

Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Looks great dude! nice subtle mods.
mark-o-polo
New

Post by mark-o-polo »

Aaaaarrrgghh!

Did this last week -

Not as bad as it could have been I suppose, but still not happy.

Also, having stated how well the car was running, it started "missing" temporarily, usually after the car had been stood overnight. The plugs and leads had been replaced within the last year and all the garage could find was a loose wire on the oxygen sensor, so £20 later the problem seems to have been resolved. Fingers crossed!
Godderz23
Platinum Member

Post by Godderz23 »

Gutted for you man. Its such a horrible noise when you catch them, instant depression :(

I now park so far from the kerb its a joke :oops:
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Gutted mate, doesnt look too bad from the pics but any damage is always horrible.
mark-o-polo
New

Post by mark-o-polo »

Well having only days earlier read the post about the window regulator I shut my driver's door with the window fully down. Went to put the window up and it stopped a third of the way up and the went back down.

Took the door panel of and managed to snap the grab handle insert in the process - typically the one I'd already replaced and not the one that is getting a bit scabby and is due to be replaced anyway!

Then I decided it was getting a bit too dark to carry on so took the car to the in-laws where it would be safer with an open window overnight. Father in law rang about ten minutes later to say he'd managed to "jump" the window back into it's runners and it is working fine.

Is it likely that I've done any further damage or can I count myseld lucky and never close the door with the window down again??
mark-o-polo
New

Re: mark-o-polo's 6n2 GTi - bidding a fond farewell!

Post by mark-o-polo »

Well, somewhat out of the blue, I got the opportunity to do a swap involving the Polo and a mk4 Golf GTi.

I had been toying with getting something a bit bigger as having 2 kids, the Polo wasn't always ideal, even as our second car, but I had never taken things any further as the Polo was such a great little car.

Took a couple of farewell pics.

As I'm sure is the case with most projects, there were still a few things I didn't get round to such as a stubby mirror & TT pedals, but overall I was pleased with the car as it stood.

I know that the guy who is taking the Polo is looking to move it on, so if anyone is in the market, feel free to PM me and I can give you some more details or put you in touch.

Will also have a few bits going up for sale when I get organised - Ronal Turbos with tyres, a bonnet bra and genuine VW mudflaps spring to mind, so keep an eye on the for sale section or again send me a PM.

The Golf is pretty standard other than having the BBS RC wheels, from the Anniversary model - could be the start of a OEM+ project I'm thinking...!

Just wanted to finish by saying what a great forum this is. Lots of friendly, helpful posts and some awesome Polos.

Cheers
Mark
bradley1983
Gold Member

Post by bradley1983 »

1 dibs on the ronal's please please please.

Will you be passing this site on to the new owner? Don't let him go to clubpolo, they are gay!!!
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

I hope you enjoy the MK4 Golf dude, they are very nice to be fair.
I take it you swapped it for the 1.8T (150bhp) model then and not the 2.0 (115bhp) version?