Knock Sensors (Dissertation)

Non-VW related chat - Moderated
wilde67
Getting There!

Knock Sensors (Dissertation)

Post by wilde67 »

Hey guys!

Im doing my dissertation this year at uni on knock sensors in internal combustion engines for my mechanical engineering degree. Just making a start really and I wonderd if any of you guys know anything about it? Or maybe how VW go about it? Or have had any experiences i could use/mention. I know Subaru boxxer engines suffer a lot from this and Saab were the first to use anti knock on the 900 turbo, but not many other facts I can chuck in apart from maths lol.

You guys normally solve my problmes, so I thought it worth a try. Also been told I can refernce forums to a point, so any help would be much appriciated!

Cheers!
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Re: Knock Sensors (Dissertation)

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

It might be worth getting in touch with some mobile re-mapping companies mate, this is something they test for when mapping cars, particularly high performance cars like Impreza's and Evo's. If you contact some of the mapping companies like More-Bhp, Awesome GTI, Jabbasport, Angel Tuning, Elite Remaps, AMD, JBS Auto Design etc i'm sure some of them will gladly help you

Ben
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

wilde67 wrote:Hey guys!

Im doing my dissertation this year at uni on knock sensors in internal combustion engines for my mechanical engineering degree. Just making a start really and I wonderd if any of you guys know anything about it? Or maybe how VW go about it? Or have had any experiences i could use/mention. I know Subaru boxxer engines suffer a lot from this and Saab were the first to use anti knock on the 900 turbo, but not many other facts I can chuck in apart from maths lol.

You guys normally solve my problmes, so I thought it worth a try. Also been told I can refernce forums to a point, so any help would be much appriciated!

Cheers!
The bit that interests me is when manufacturers can programme ECU's to know which cyl to adjust the timing on from one knock sensor on a 6 cyl engine

I'm sure I've got a bit of information that might be usefull - I'll have a look later
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

bstardchild wrote:I'm sure I've got a bit of information that might be usefull - I'll have a look later
Checked and about 6 or 7 pdf files on the subject - if you're interested in copies shout - can't host them but they could be emailed :wink: