Swapping headunit over

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
the_mini_mole
New

Swapping headunit over

Post by the_mini_mole »

Hey, My headunit has started rattling like mad in my car and its really bugging me. What is the best way to get it out and swap it with the cubby box below it. Is this actually possible? Its a standard VW HU by the way.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Swapping headunit over

Post by alexperkins »

yes its possible. Just use removal keys - take out the radio, then pull the cubby box out. Put the cubby box back in above then put the radio back in.
the_mini_mole
New

Post by the_mini_mole »

Excellent, thanks. What sort of keys do I need? I have a set of flat ones somewhere, are they the right type?
Endi_GTI
Gold Member

Post by Endi_GTI »

Had the same problem as you mate but with an aftermarket stereo. So I swapped mine around a few days ago. I did the same as what Alex said but I found the cubby hole has to go in upside down to what it was before due to the lugs having to be located in the middle of the 2 holes (bottom of draw abd top of radio). So the bit of the cubby with holes in will be at the bottom. A bit annoying for small stuff as it can fall through. But doesn't bother me as I only put my Phone in and it does not jump around as much when on a bumpy road. Hope this helps

Matt
bradley1983
Gold Member

Post by bradley1983 »

I want to change mine this week and was wondering where to get the replacement bit where the stero goes in as I know it's not a straight swap as the space is bigger where the Vw stero is.