Grating noise from steering rack

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Blaade
Bronze Member

Grating noise from steering rack

Post by Blaade »

Anyone had a similar problem?. I have a grating noise on the steering rack when turning the wheel sharp right
Blaade
Bronze Member

Update

Post by Blaade »

Been into the dealers today and it looks like the steering rack is shot. Not a happy bunny i can tell you. Car only done 3k :x :x :x
BonsaiTiger
Getting There!

Re: Grating noise from steering rack

Post by BonsaiTiger »

Whaaaat!! how is this possible? 3000 miles? whats the damage then? are they gonna sort it for you like under the warranty?
Blaade
Bronze Member

Post by Blaade »

BonsaiTiger wrote:Whaaaat!! how is this possible? 3000 miles? whats the damage then? are they gonna sort it for you like under the warranty?
New rack ordered, fitting Friday. Yes the warranty is covering it.
Edi30
Gold Member

Re: Update

Post by Edi30 »

Blaade wrote:Been into the dealers today and it looks like the steering rack is shot. Not a happy bunny i can tell you. Car only done 3k :x :x :x
I cant believe this, that is really bad :shock: Can you describe the noise further or may be post a video so that we know what to listen out for? Glad its being sorted under warranty and good luck.
Blaade
Bronze Member

Post by Blaade »

Edi30 wrote:
Blaade wrote:Been into the dealers today and it looks like the steering rack is shot. Not a happy bunny i can tell you. Car only done 3k :x :x :x
I cant believe this, that is really bad :shock: Can you describe the noise further or may be post a video so that we know what to listen out for? Glad its being sorted under warranty and good luck.
Go along in the car at only 5 mph. Quickly turn the wheel right then left (like the racing cars do to warm the tyres.). I can hear a grating noise when i turn sharp right. Sounds like a loud,ish metallic noise.
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

Blaade wrote:
Edi30 wrote:
Go along in the car at only 5 mph. Quickly turn the wheel right then left (like the racing cars do to warm the tyres.). I can hear a grating noise when i turn sharp right. Sounds like a loud,ish metallic noise.

OK thanks for the detailed description. I have not heard anything like that on mine but I will try this when I am out later as I have done similar mileage (3500).
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

Tried it and no noise at all. Good luck for Friday.
Blaade
Bronze Member

Post by Blaade »

Good news. Will try and find out the exact nature of the failure from the tech on Friday
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

Get them to show you the rack, i hate when service centres say "we replaced the item because it was faulty" yet when you ask to see what the fault is or whatever, they have either "conveniently" thrown it out or misplaced it, or they're too busy....

Would be interesting to see what the actual damage is though, when was yours built, is it a MY11 or MY11.5 model?
Blaade
Bronze Member

Post by Blaade »

gavs wrote:Get them to show you the rack, i hate when service centres say "we replaced the item because it was faulty" yet when you ask to see what the fault is or whatever, they have either "conveniently" thrown it out or misplaced it, or they're too busy....

Would be interesting to see what the actual damage is though, when was yours built, is it a MY11 or MY11.5 model?
I will ask. Car built October 2010 so what does that make it?
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

Blaade wrote:
gavs wrote:Get them to show you the rack, i hate when service centres say "we replaced the item because it was faulty" yet when you ask to see what the fault is or whatever, they have either "conveniently" thrown it out or misplaced it, or they're too busy....

I will ask. Car built October 2010 so what does that make it?
I think mine was built Sept 2010 and this is MY2011.
yorks GT TDI
Sponsor

Post by yorks GT TDI »

do you think vw gives you time to fully strip the steering rack in to **** amount of parts to see whats noisey no once you have confirmed the rack is noisey you replace it vw then takes it back to strip to see what went wrong
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

The car would be My11 then, My11.5 is only applicable to vehicles built this year, most obvious change is the climatic disply going from blue to black with white writing.

In regards to the rack, it's all well and good for them to say "they rack is bad so we replaced it" yet how do you know? It is a fair and reasonable question to ask what exactly is wrong and ask to be shown. If they turn around and say "it seems to be an issue with this thingy and because that is sealed/takes 3 hours to undo, we can't get into into it to show you", then fine. Many many times, service shop mechanics won't actually replace something, classic example is CV joints, too much effort so they get a needle fitting and pump the boot full of grease.

If you ask, they may even give you the rack if you ask so you can take a look, otherwise they might have to return it for credit to the supplier...
yorks GT TDI
Sponsor

Post by yorks GT TDI »

are you on about main dealers because what your on about would cause the dealer to lost there right to retail all warranty parts are returned for the dealer to get payed for doing the job also so they know its been fitted