1.4 Auto

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
rasA4
Getting There!

1.4 Auto

Post by rasA4 »

hi all new to this forum i have an Audi A4 and would like to get a newer cr for thr wife she has a corsa c 1.2 auto 2001.
what do i look out for in a polo. budget around £4k can only seem to find S and SE spec whats the difference? are there any others i should look out for? any other advice please.

according to the spec the bhp is 75bhp same as the 1.2 corsa why is this?

thank you in advance
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Re: 1.4 Auto

Post by blazeguarder »

SE is a higher spec than S. S gives you electric mirrors/windows and central locking but SE gives you remote locking and a couple other things. If your budget can stretch to it, you'd probably be best off going for the SE. Try and avoid the E model - this has keep-fit windows, manual mirrors, steel wheels, etc.

The 1.4 engine puts out 75bhp because it's a relatively old engine. Not bad in any way, just not as modern as some of the newer ones and as a result the power looks a bit low. I found it to be decently fast though, perfectly usable on motorways at 70mph etc.

Stuff to look out for: aside from the obvious crash damage etc, cambelt needs changing at 4 years/40,000 miles which costs about £300, suspension bushes can fail and they can occasionally suffer from coil pack failure. As a general rule though, they are quite reliable cars.

Good luck!
rasA4
Getting There!

Post by rasA4 »

Thanks for your reply have you had experience with the auto box? As corsa is a bit asthmatic due to it being a semi auto you have to take the foot off the gas a little before gear changes, u don't have to but helps.
I've also been looking at the previous shape is the much difference besides the shape of course.
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

Haven't got any experience with the auto box I'm afraid, got a friend with one that seems to drive alright when I'm a passenger in it though... best bet is really to give it a go yourself. I used to have a Polo with the 75bhp 1.4 engine, and I quite liked it though.

The 6N2 (the previous shape) is a great car, and some of the guys in the 6N2 sections on this forum have great examples of them. However, I'd personally go for the newer one, as there should be cars with lower mileage, etc. It's also a bigger car than the 6N2, slightly more modern interior, etc. All personal preference really. VWs are pretty reliable so as long as you get a good example of either then you shouldn't have any major problems.
rasA4
Getting There!

Post by rasA4 »

Ok thanks again I've also seen another with different bigger lights looks the same shape though? Could be facelift?
Also would be interested in what you drive.
Looking at economy as well even though same bhp as corsa it's about 10mpg less. :( I really do need to drive it I guess should be a better ride.
One thing I don't like about this shape is the rear lights I suppose they can be changed easy enough to the facelift version?
jameslb101
New

Post by jameslb101 »

rasA4 wrote:Ok thanks again I've also seen another with different bigger lights looks the same shape though? Could be facelift?
Also would be interested in what you drive.
Looking at economy as well even though same bhp as corsa it's about 10mpg less. :( I really do need to drive it I guess should be a better ride.
One thing I don't like about this shape is the rear lights I suppose they can be changed easy enough to the facelift version?
Yes the lights can be changed to the newer model. The 6n Polo went until 2002. From 02-05 there was the 9n, and from 05-09 there was the 9n2, which is a facelift on the 9n. As you say it had different rear lights and a different front end with one piece lights, but was the same car underneath.
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

As said, the lights can be easily swapped for the facelift ones. Some wiring needs to be done, but a member on here (KITT) sells adapters that make them plug and play.

I used to drive a 55 plate 9N3 1.4S, and now I have a 57 plate 9N3 GTi. Both are manuals so I can't comment on the auto box.

If the fuel economy's a problem, have you considered one of the diesel versions? Great economy and are apparently quite nippy once remapped. Might be worth a look?
rasA4
Getting There!

Post by rasA4 »

Hi all looks like I know what I want to buy now 1.4se auto. What's the timing belt intervals? Anything else advisable to change at the same time? I would say Water pump for starters
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Timing belt should be 60k (double check the miles, not sure if it's different on the petrol) or every 4 years, whichever comes first.

How many miles has it done? Being an auto, I'd also get the transmission fluid changed just to be safe. I spoke to VW about the pump and apparently they don't have a set interval for it. I''d do it whilst the cambelt is being done if it's got over 60k miles.

Mine's nearly on 44k (but nearly 8 years old) and will be having it's second belt at the end of the year, but I might leave the pump for now. At the rate I drive, I doubt I'd be at much over 65k (if that) in another 4 years (and whether I'll still have the car).

Ash :)
rasA4
Getting There!

Post by rasA4 »

blazeguarder wrote:As said, the lights can be easily swapped for the facelift ones. Some wiring needs to be done, but a member on here (KITT) sells adapters that make them plug and play.

I used to drive a 55 plate 9N3 1.4S, and now I have a 57 plate 9N3 GTi. Both are manuals so I can't comment on the auto box.

If the fuel economy's a problem, have you considered one of the diesel versions? Great economy and are apparently quite nippy once remapped. Might be worth a look?
Sorry blaze I missed your reply sadly no diesel auto option unless new shape
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Diesel auto 'boxes are made from chocolate anyway and should be avoided like the plague.

Ash
rasA4
Getting There!

Post by rasA4 »

lol would you how does the petrol ones fair are they used in any other cars?
Dub_Dan
Gold Member

Post by Dub_Dan »

mate my mom has one of these its a nippy car smooth drive as well downside its only a 4 speed box... plus i have heard on forums that you can map them to 100 bhp from 75 whether this is true or not due it being naturall aspirated engine...
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

You'll never get a 33% increase in power out of a NA engine with just a remap. Classic case of "the internetz said..."

Ash
Dub_Dan
Gold Member

Post by Dub_Dan »

K.I.T.T. wrote:You'll never get a 33% increase in power out of a NA engine with just a remap. Classic case of "the internetz said..."

Ash
i know that but there was talk of that in the 6n2 section on the 1.4 16v engine 75 being able to be mapped to 100

oh well