gearbox

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
Rob119
New

gearbox

Post by Rob119 »

any1 know how much gearboxes are for a mk2 polo
best quote i got is 75quid for a 5 speed with all the bits
because i got a 4 speed in at the mo and 80quid to fit
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

*holds knife to robs throat*

where did you get that quote?
:lol:

I had £100 plus £20 delivery, and it didnt even have the right bits in the end, so you've done well there.

Fitting might easily be as much as 100 if you dont do it yourself but ring around...
(got to prop the axles, perhaps put it on a lift, get the wheels off, disconnect the driveshafts, support the engine, undo the old box (from engine, linkage, speedo, clutch cable etc), remove it carefully, install the new one just as carefully, reconnect, and put everything back on... not counting checking over the thing, renewing the oil as a precaution and as a diagnostic, etc)

£75 with all bits plus £80 fitting, well done mate!

Just - as i've said to someone else, you may have already seen it and be bored by it - be mindful of what you want the 5-speed "for" and what code box you're buying. There's several variants depending on engine size and trim variant, and it can even be different within that... for example in the CLs, you could have 4 different ones depending on whether it was 1.3 (wide), 1.0 wide (slightly lower geared using a different final-drive - these ones being essentially the 4-speed with an extra "overdrive" gear glued on the end), 1.0 narrow & high, or 1.0 narrow & low (again much the same boxes but with different finals - both of which only cover as much "range" as the regular 4-speed)...

(well, that holds true for mk3s and essentially for mk2s as well as they share a lot of stuff - just be careful of what size shafts you have as it switched sometime in the 80s to a slightly larger size)

I made a spreadsheet with that stuff in, if it's any use :D it needs updating (newer version on my hard disc being tidied - minor changes and additions, of newly 'found' boxes and of full 9-digit serial numbers where known) but should do you alright.
http://www.geocities.com/tahrey/polos/
Rob119
New

Post by Rob119 »

ok I went looking for a gearbox today and all i found was a 5 speed off a mk3 coupe

will this fit into my mk2 or not

that was 75quid including the linkage but i can get it fitted for about 50quid now i no a guy who is a mechanic.
Tahrey1043
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

Should go in alright... i think... how old is the car? That's the killer question.
(bugger, I never saved the page I had with flange sizes..)

Actually, better to ask - do you know what engine and particularly gearbox code you already have? I might be able to dredge that out of my memory more easily.
(as a rough guide, if you have a 2-letter gearbox, it might need an adaptor for the mk3 one..)

(Off a mk3 coupe, hmm, that leaves you open to pretty much every variant :D... super-narrow 1-litre type, 'normal' close 1-litre/GT type (or even G40, a bit "tall"!), or either wide economy one..)

Let us know how you get on if your chap takes a look at it and decides to just go for it!
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Consider yourself lucky.. I just got quoted.. wait for it..

£750.

Plus £50 delivery...

Plus 17.5% VAT.

And that was from a breaker...

However, all my other quotes have been around the £100 mark, seems about average.
Karl_CLCoupe
Platinum Member

Post by Karl_CLCoupe »

Rob119 wrote:ok I went looking for a gearbox today and all i found was a 5 speed off a mk3 coupe

will this fit into my mk2 or not
That should fit yours. The engines in Mark 2 and 3 are essentially the same, as are the boxes, apart from the digi-whatever-its-called fuel injection on Mark 3 engines and the cat. (I think) :roll:

Karl
Rob119
New

Post by Rob119 »

ok folks i got a gearbox sorted now went to the scrap yard and found one on a j reg polo cl and it had a 5 speed box in it

the scrappy wants 100quid thats includin the linkage aswell
gettin it fit for about 80quid in a week or so

nicked a couple of wires n stuff for a cd player while i was there
:P
Tahrey1043

Post by Tahrey1043 »

groovy you need to send the 750 guy a well-used haddock wrapped in 'how to slap yourself with fish - a beginners guide'

180 for box and fitting, and its one off a CL, good going, let us know how it is!
you remembered the mounts/the fitter can fab them, right?
Aphex
Bronze Member

Post by Aphex »

if you have a 4speed the 5speed box you want is the 8p, this has the ratios from the coupe s/gt and a few of these went in the mk3 gt.

any box from a mk2/mk3 and some of the early mk4's (the 1.3's) will fit the mk2. Also included is the mk2 golf 1300 which has the same hydraulic MH engine as the mk2 polo.
86C
Getting There!

Post by 86C »

Overmind wrote:if you have a 4speed the 5speed box you want is the 8p, this has the ratios from the coupe s/gt and a few of these went in the mk3 gt.
8P has the ratio's from the G40 not the GT. GT (code could be either 8N or AH?-something or other...can't remember offhand)revs 4000rpm @ approx 80mph whereas the 8P box will rev the same at 90mph
Tahrey1043

Post by Tahrey1043 »

SHE RIDES! :lol:

Um, I mean, I knew this would come in handy one day

http://www.tigerstyle.co.uk/poloforum/v ... highlight=

Not sure how up to date it is compared to my hard disk copy, but just look for whichever link claims to be the latest one. The 8P (ie Mk2/Mk3 1.3CL), GT (including mk2?) and G40 details are completely accurate as far as I can tell.

PS, gutted - went to a breakers in Derby for my "new" door. The place was littered with VW gearboxes. Dude quoted me a decent 5-speed for £95. Feeling extra ripped off now. .... if only I was any good with the home mechanicing and had the tools, ah well.
86C
Getting There!

Post by 86C »

And I quoted you £75 for a good 'box, with all the bits to convert...
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

if only I was any good with the home mechanicing and had the tools, ah well.
My attitude towards learning to do something is that you'll never actually become good at it unless you make yourself try.. my polo is the first car I've owned, I've had it since the beginning of february, so I've had very little experience with heavy mechanic work, yet I'm going to try to take it's engine and gearbox out later this year and replace gaskets, piston rings etc, just because it's all good experience :) You've just got to think, even if it all goes wrong the garage will only charge what they would have charged to do it anyway, and there's a good chance that you'll be able to bypass them alltogether :)
Tahrey1043

Post by Tahrey1043 »

86c wrote: And I quoted you £75 for a good 'box, with all the bits to convert...
you did? :cry: :oops:

wheres me white cane and golden labbie... 8) dammit

Thing is groovy (& 86c), i *need* this car to get to and from my evening job - they do lay on a bus, but it goes 100% in the wrong direction (i'm southwest, almost everyone else is either 1.northeast or 2.on much better pay) and it's just a little too hard a cycle route. So unless something actually breaks, i'm not going to do more to it than I *know* i can do with reasonable success inside of a 6 hour time frame - particularly stuff that won't greatly affect the drivability. EG fitting removable induction kit...

The existing gearbox still works *beautifully* but for the lack of 5th after all. The taking off and removing is a "3 to 4 spanner" job that requires something to hold the box level with (so you dont knacker the clutch and the splined crankshaft link by crushing one with the other) and a torque wrench to refit. Far more prepared to leave it with the parts at a garage for a couple days (the work being the cost of a wrench and a missed late shift) when I know i've got time off and probably won't have to go anywhere that can't be easily cycled. At least then I can squeeze them for a loaner if it all goes t**s up.

Besides, I finally got the refund back for that broken one (with carriage too! £120 in tha bank)... and it just managed to eke me out of overdraft. Like if they hadn't refunded the carriage too, I'd still be there. Got to save hard for the insurance, tax and MOT now (end of august...).

Mebbe when I can afford a "better" car (i'm thinking... 1.3 5sp mk3 hatch with tilting seats and a sunroof :D) without having to sell this one, i'll use it as a play tool.
Hell if it wasn't 150 miles away on twisting roads, i'd have taken ywouldi's to play with.

This car has been enough of a learning experience though. Before I had it, I could just about check the oil and the tyre pressures.... Now I can do all the oil change and oil/air filters, change wheels and bulbs, diagnose various small faults and fix them. Still not exactly great shakes, but enough to survive with.
Rob119
New

Post by Rob119 »

hey all

gearbox n linkage is in n runnin fine

but i just hit a problem
theres a small leak comin from where the selecter goes into the box
this was happenin on my 4 speed aswell

so i assumed it was the rubber seal
so i got a new one put in and
next day gearbox oil puddle under my car

so i put the car on ramps and had a look