Rear Number Plate LED Bulb Upgrade

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
JIC Cracked
Silver Member

Post by JIC Cracked »

I am planning to upgrade my rear number plate bulbs, with LED versions has anyone done this yet?
which type of bulb is it :? as dont want buy the wrong ones by mistake!
I know that they have to be CANBUS type, to void the warning lights on the dash!
I want to go for a OEM look, more white than blue as seen on most latest versions of BMW.
There tons on eBay, some of them can have up 18 LED :shock: just want to go for the simple type
Any recommendations would help :)
Stiggy
Getting There!

Re: Rear Number Plate LED Bulb Upgrade

Post by Stiggy »

I think they are 501.

I'm doing this myself this weekend, so I will give you an update.
NMavs
Gold Member

Post by NMavs »

Ive tried all the different standardled bulbs in my past 3 polos and none compare to the complete lamp replacements that i have in my 6r gti. There about 15 quid for a set from hids4u. Id recommend buyin them and save your time and money wasting it on them rubbish ebay leds. Seriously, they last a couple of weeks atthe most and start flickering / not working at all.
JIC Cracked
Silver Member

Post by JIC Cracked »

@NMavs are you refering to this type of bulb http://www.hids4u.co.uk/led-festoon-bulbs/ or have you purchased this type for your Polo GTI http://www.hids4u.co.uk/vw-led-number-plate-light.html
Stiggy
Getting There!

Post by Stiggy »

I've just put in a pair of these, and they work fine.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ERROR-FREE-CA ... 1c1ac3a649

Actually, the 5-LED version they do are slightly brighter. I have been using them as front sidelights for a week and they have been fine.
NMavs
Gold Member

Post by NMavs »

The second ones bud. Type stalion into the discount code mate an you get em cheaper. Well worth there money. You can see them on the pics in my progress thread, they light up the floor there that bright.
Tsuku
New

Post by Tsuku »

For a more expensive, albeit OEM solution, you could order the OEM LED number plate lights (as on 2012 models) from your local VW dealer. Part number 1K8943021C.
AJ_7
Gold Member

Post by AJ_7 »

Not sure how much the LED numberplate lamp unit would be from the dealer, an alternative to sourcing one from your dealer is the link below. 24 Euros.

http://www.vw-audi-shop.com/epages/6183 ... 1K8943021B

I'm going to do this to my Polo after payday at the end of the month so i'd be interested in whats the best option here also.

Alex
JIC Cracked
Silver Member

Post by JIC Cracked »

Well the aftermarket ones on HIDS4U are sold out, couple weeks untill they come back in to stock :x
So did some research into the original VW LED units, most people's feedback is they work, but come up with error message on the dash!
NMavs
Gold Member

Post by NMavs »

Personally from past expierences, i would hold out and wait for the HIDS4U ones. By far the best available. You get a 2 year warrenty with them, and no canbus errors on dash :D Its a no brainer :mrgreen:
Der Finne.
Getting There!

Post by Der Finne. »

AJ_7 wrote:Not sure how much the LED numberplate lamp unit would be from the dealer, an alternative to sourcing one from your dealer is the link below. 24 Euros.

http://www.vw-audi-shop.com/epages/6183 ... 1K8943021B

I'm going to do this to my Polo after payday at the end of the month so i'd be interested in whats the best option here also.

Alex
I can't recommend those OE VW ones enough! They're engineered and made in Germany, so will probably many times outlive similar type of Chinese units. And their light is pure white without the lightest hint of blue/green, very evenly spread and not ridiculously bright. They might be a few quids more than the Chinese ones, but then you get what you pay for.
(EDIT: You'll need someone with a VCDS to change one byte in the Central Electronics Control Module to cancel the bulb-out warning light with the OE VW LED lamp!)

If choosing a Chinese aftermarket lamp then it probably is a wise thing to buy from your local company that has a hassle-free warranty policy, as it's always a gamble with the Chinese units in terms of quality. The flickering is the most common problem like NMavs said: Most Chinese manufacturers just don't engineer their lamps or bulbs well enough against voltage or current peaks. :x

If you choose just LED bulbs for your existing lamps, then the required bulb type is indeed 501. For best illumination, get a flanked version. Sadly, though, most 501 LED bulbs (like the one in the link) have insufficient cooling for the LED, so they tend to start flicker or just go out dot by dot.
daydotz
Silver Member

Post by daydotz »

Do OEM or the ones from hids2u improve rear visabity?
benmkiv
Platinum Member

Post by benmkiv »

They won't really improve the rear visibility because of where they sit :s
CANDYMAN
Gold Member

Post by CANDYMAN »

NMavs
Gold Member

Post by NMavs »

The ones from hids4u will. Light the road and back end of my car up like a christmas tree :-) love them. Best money ever spent :-)