Gti tsi intercooler

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Low-flying
New

Gti tsi intercooler

Post by Low-flying »

Anyone know were to get a upgraded intercooler

Or does the seat Ibiza 1.4 tsi 170bhp fit ?

Thanks
SteveP
Getting There!

Re: Gti tsi intercooler

Post by SteveP »

Been on the look out myself for an uprated IC, but haven't found anything yet.
Low-flying
New

Post by Low-flying »

Same

Any idea on other 1.4tsi engines ? Having the same size intercooler ?
SteveP
Getting There!

Post by SteveP »

they all use the same cooler from what I have seen.
Low-flying
New

Post by Low-flying »

Do any of the other cars with the 1.4tsi do bigger intercoolers
Low-flying
New

Post by Low-flying »

gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

If you don't want to be cutting into your bumper then no, the ibiza cooler doesn't fit. APR australia are in the final stages of sorting out production for their intercooler, specifically for the GTI and from what I have able to gather, it's a bolt-on replacement, no cutting required. I too looked at the ibiza but from a rough google translation out of spain, it required some "manipulation" on the gti to fit.....
SteveP
Getting There!

Post by SteveP »

VW Polo

Here's the diagrams from the other three cars that share the 1.4TSI 180/185: -

Seat Ibiza

Audi A1

And the one showing the biggest difference, however the part number is the same as the Polo and A1: -

gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

Yes, the actual intercooler is the same, the bodywork in front of it though is different according to APR and seemingly, Forge, hence why they haven't made teh listing for Polo GTI also.
SteveP
Getting There!

Post by SteveP »

Well hopefully a proper intercooler will be released soon, personally wouldn't go with Forge or APR.
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

SteveP wrote:Well hopefully a proper intercooler will be released soon, personally wouldn't go with Forge or APR.

Oh, why not?
kevinctr
Getting There!
Drives: MY12 GTI 6R

Post by kevinctr »

Larger Intercooler will result in some boost drop and lags no matter how well the design is. Hope APR comes out with something thats not "Race" but "street" design instead.

I am trying out water methanol-injection system to cool down the intake charge instead. Its super cost effective but more hassle in the long run. Snow Performance have a kit that reads VW MAF sensor properly and the kit to get is "Boost Cooler Stage2-TFSI"

http://www.jabbasport.com/
http://www.snowperformance.net/index.php
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

Another option is a water sprayer for the intercooler. As crude as it sounds, but on a work car with a top-mounted intercooler, another guy in the office suggested I pack it with ice for a trip I did over easter. Granted, the ice melted rather quickly but before the first stop, the car was using an average of 9.1L/100kms and when I checked, after 200kms of driving, the intercooler was still icy cold. After the heat soak though after the stop, the cooler was hot ato the touch gain and the remaining 350kms saw fuel consumption at 9.7-9.8L/100kms so my thought would be to run the water pipe along the refridgerant line of the AC system to help pre-chill it a little, then use it to spray the cooler, either with a constant mist or switchable for when you wanted it....

Dunno how cold it would get but if it's something people are looking into it might be worth some investigation....