Center armrest retro fit ?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Spcvw
New

Center armrest retro fit ?

Post by Spcvw »

Hi, does anyone know if its possible to fit a genuine vw center armrest as a customer fit?.
I quite fancy it as im used to a armrest. The car is manual. Vw told me its involved to fit
But i cant see how it would be to hard. Also anyone recomend a aftermarket alternative?
Therevare a few on ebay

Steve.
cr44
New

Re: Center armrest retro fit ?

Post by cr44 »

I'd be interested in this, I would really like to fit a genuine VW armrest if I could find 1.

They look like they are a replacement for the rear cup holder
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

There will be an insert in the centre console area, basically right between the seats. to get to it, you need to pull the whole centre console apart to remove said section, then make sure you have the correct arm rest (mk4 golf ones are different in their mounting, not 100% sure about 9N's though) and correct mounting brackets, then put it all together and remember to thread-lock the bolts because as I found out on the Mk4 golf, the threads on the mating bolts and castings were not exactly to tolerance, so after 2-3 months driving, the thing just flopped around all over the place!
Spcvw
New

Post by Spcvw »

Thanks gavs, im goin to my dealer on fri so il see if they got one fitted i can look at. Cant be to hard to do so il probably order one.

Steve
Polo 2011 Moda
Getting There!

Post by Polo 2011 Moda »

I'd love one too but cant stand them in the Polo's. Problems changing gear etc...
Spcvw
New

Post by Spcvw »

Good point, il consider that
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

Polo 2011 Moda wrote:I'd love one too but cant stand them in the Polo's. Problems changing gear etc...
I had one in the Mk 4 golf and never had a problem changing gear. Hadbrake was obstructed, as it is in the polo now, but hey, you should only need to pull it up 2-3 clicks anyway so i don't really mind.
Tsuku
New

Post by Tsuku »

I retrofitted the armrest on my 6R GTI, as I didn't get to order one as new. Bought one from eBay from some Spanish seller. It was fairly easy to install, you don't have to remove the entire center console (although it helps). Gearshifts aren't an issue with DSG, but operating the handbrake is a bit harder with the armrest, unless you move it every time. You do get used to that too.
stuart.cameron
Bronze Member

Post by stuart.cameron »

Tsuku wrote:I retrofitted the armrest on my 6R GTI, as I didn't get to order one as new. Bought one from eBay from some Spanish seller. It was fairly easy to install, you don't have to remove the entire center console (although it helps). Gearshifts aren't an issue with DSG, but operating the handbrake is a bit harder with the armrest, unless you move it every time. You do get used to that too.
Doesn't the GTI come with an armrest standard?
jeeks
New

Post by jeeks »

I've got one in my SEL as it came standard but it's a b***h if I'm honest. Firstly with taking hand brake off and changing gears is a pain too.
Only worthwhile on motorway runs in my opinion!
stuart.cameron
Bronze Member

Post by stuart.cameron »

jeeks wrote:I've got one in my SEL as it came standard but it's a ***** if I'm honest. Firstly with taking hand brake off and changing gears is a pain too.
Only worthwhile on motorway runs in my opinion!
The joys of an automatic :D
jeeks
New

Post by jeeks »

Automatics are no fun man! All about giving the TSI some s**t!
Tsuku
New

Post by Tsuku »

stuart.cameron wrote:
Tsuku wrote:I retrofitted the armrest on my 6R GTI, as I didn't get to order one as new. Bought one from eBay from some Spanish seller. It was fairly easy to install, you don't have to remove the entire center console (although it helps). Gearshifts aren't an issue with DSG, but operating the handbrake is a bit harder with the armrest, unless you move it every time. You do get used to that too.
Doesn't the GTI come with an armrest standard?
Dunno about other countries, but here in Finland it's not standard equipment.
Spcvw
New

Post by Spcvw »

I priced it at main stealers yesterday

As an dealer option its £110

To purchase retail and retro fit is not possible. Just the top arm piece is nearly £180 and theres about another 10 - 15 items needed from the screen he showed me.

Its ebay with a bolt on kit or make do .

Steve.

I may look into a aftermarket one.
Tsuku
New

Post by Tsuku »

Spcvw wrote:I priced it at main stealers yesterday

As an dealer option its £110

To purchase retail and retro fit is not possible. Just the top arm piece is nearly £180 and theres about another 10 - 15 items needed from the screen he showed me.

Its ebay with a bolt on kit or make do .

Steve.

I may look into a aftermarket one.
You're right, it's bloody expensive to buy all the parts separately as spare parts from the stealer. Ebay is your best bet, I got mine from ebay for 190 euros. It was a package containing all the OEM parts you need to retrofit the center arm rest. The parts were stripped from crash test cars, only driven a few kilometers and in excellent condition, basically new. No need to install a fugly squeaking aftermarket armrest.