So I've joined the club

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
SteveHawkins
New

So I've joined the club

Post by SteveHawkins »

Hi All,

1st proper post :)

So I purchased a new car yesterday (collect it Wednesday/Saturday dependent on time available on Wed). 2000 Polo GTI 8)

Really happy with the spec, HUUUUUUUUUUUGE and comprehensive service history file, everything from the original sales order from VW, right down to tyres, washer fluid, bills, receipts, all the old tax discs everything.

It's not the black I wanted, it's silver, but it has full leather, electrics all round including tilt and slide glass sunroof. Only part I can see is missing is the CD Changer (which I'm not to bothered about as I'll be giving the ICE some serious upgrading anyway.

Not got any photo's yet other than some rubbishy autotrader ones. I know it looks scared of tarmac at present, but it's clean and a good place to start I reckon. What do you think chaps?

I guess I'll be on here a bit more now then ;)

Cheers

Steve
Bradley
Gold Member

Re: So I've joined the club

Post by Bradley »

Looks like a very clean examlple,what mileage is on the old girl?.

Seems someone had a fettle at somepoint with the B pillars being painted and the TT pedal covers.Nice you have the Leather and sunroof too.

Brad
SteveHawkins
New

Post by SteveHawkins »

'B' pillars are actually coated with a black gloss vinyl. This is coming off and being re-done as it's not been done to well. The Vinyl has shrunk under the sun and starting to peel. I might even get the paint out and paint them would look better I think. I didn't even notice the TT pedals haha, I did notice the wing mirrors are both stubby small ones though, so I assume it's had a euro mirror put on to the drivers side.

Currently the cars showing just over 100k, but I'm not at all worried about that as it appears to have had everything it's ever needed. Looking through the history on the MOT's there was literally MOT cert, stapled behind that was the advisory page (if any), and stapled behind that the invoice and receipt for the parts and labour to sort out the advisory :wink:

I wasn't to sure whether the seats should be heated or not? I thought they all were if they were leather, but I couldn't find a switch for seat heating anywhere?!?! I'm sure I'll be clambering all over it once I get it home. Be good to get my stereo gear back into a car again. I used to work for Car Audio Direct so have a ton of gear sat at home. Mind you I reckon I'll treat myself to some new stuff to keep things up to scratch haha.

Used to have various other 'hot hatches' but they had to be sold to fund a 'family' car. Just getting back into things now, and looking forward to getting my hands dirty again!

Steve
emma_88
Gold Member
Drives: 6N2 Polo GTi & 9N3 Polo GTi

Post by emma_88 »

Nice GTi example, even if it has got over 100k on!

If you have heated seats, the switch should be down by where your rear heated windscreen switch is, just above the ashtray.

It's got the splitter painted silver too, which looks 100% better than the crappy black plastic colour.

Look forward to see what you're going to do with it
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Thats Neils old GTI me thinks - Here is his old build thread

http://uk-polos.net/viewtopi ... 571#p74571
SteveHawkins
New

Post by SteveHawkins »

6N2 GTI 00 wrote:Thats Neils old GTI me thinks - Here is his old build thread

http://uk-polos.net/viewtopi ... 571#p74571

Thats interesting to know. I'll check through the paperwork and see about the reg change to be sure. As far as I can see from looking at the car it's had a lot of stuff put back to OE, especially going through this list.

Shortened OEM Ariel - OE put back on and looking a bit ropey. Is on the list to be sorted!
9N Rear Aero Wiper - Not 100% sure what this looks like, will check it out but looks fairly OE 6N2 to me
Audi TT Pedals - Still fitted 8)
MK5 Golf Crystal Side repeaters - Possibly still on can't quite remember tbh
Personalised Registration - Definitely not still on car
Colour Coded Rear VW badge - Badge is painted between 'VW' bit
Seat Ibeza CD Holder - Yup theres a CD holder in the dash (Can't find a CD changer though unless I'm missing something and it's not in the boot)
De-locked handles - Didn't notice this but again could of been done, was looking more on the car as a whole not at specific details
Bora Sunglasses holder - Absolutely no idea what this is or where to find it?
Silver Vision indicator bulbs - Yup they were there I think
Blue vision Main beam - Pass, turned lights on to see they work but that was all
Blue vision sidelight bulbs - Maybe??
De-badged rear 'POLO - If it had been taken off it's been put back on again. It's coming off once I get it home!
Front Aero Wipers - Nope, these were OE ones
BBS Centre Caps - IIRC yes these were there.
B&M Shortshifter - Unsure if this is still on as don't know what the gearbox would have felt like without it fitted.
Colour Coded front splitter - Check, still there, and still silver.
FK Highsport Coilovers - Nope OE all round atm
BMC CDA - Back to OE on this one, unless I missed it but these are fairly obvious to spot right lol.

Steve
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

I could be wrong but he sold it a few weeks back and I think it was put back to standard (more or less)

Hoefully he will come on here to clarify :)

Lovely looking car regardless
Ashcroft
Gold Member

Post by Ashcroft »

Looks like a very nice and clean example of the GTi mate :-)

Keep us posted on what you do ;-)
Godderz23
Platinum Member

Post by Godderz23 »

Looks great dude. Welcome along.
SteveHawkins
New

Post by SteveHawkins »

Godderz23 wrote:Looks great dude. Welcome along.
Hi Chris,

I'm the Steve that very nearly bought your Polo, and would've if it didn't get snapped up on last sat afternoon.

It's looking pretty standard ATM. Doubt I'll do much tbh except maybe some super stealth stereo stuff and the odd bit of aesthetic stuff. Although I'm sure I'll get power hungry at some point and start messing. Quite fancy dth tb's but that's way down the line haha

Cheers

Steve
Godderz23
Platinum Member

Post by Godderz23 »

Yeah i recognized your forum name.

Nevermind dude, looks like you've got a decent one, plus black gets dirty quicker :lol:

Look forward to progress.
SteveHawkins
New

Post by SteveHawkins »

Got the car home today. Have to say I'm fairly happy with it. The brakes are absolutely shocking though, so I think there may be an issue there. They seem to judder when you press them anything but glancingly. I can see some green back backing so assume someone has fitted those god awful green stuff pads. Pretty sure the whole system needs bleeding to as the pedal is quite soft. That'll be job number 1 then. Job number 2 is sort out the over run when you take you foot off the throttle and sort out the idling.

Is it normal for the fan to cut in and out sporadically and all the time even when the engines running but jus started and cold? Seems odd to me.

Steve
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

I wouldnt blame the green stuff pads because quite a few people have fitted them on here including myself, they perform fine on the GTI despite not offering any real advantage over the OEM Pads.

Fan shouldnt be coming on & off all the time, that may need looking at because it should only really come on if your stuck in a traffic jam or on long journeys (usually on hot days).
SteveHawkins
New

Post by SteveHawkins »

I've never had decent results with the green stuff, but will reserve judgement until I get the brakes bled and get some feel back on the pedal.

Fan I've no idea about why it's doing what it's doing. I know how it should work and have a sneaky suspision that the irratic idle and fan cutting in and out maybe linked along with the climate control. Not had time to investigate today but will when I get a minute.

Steve
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Yeah you should find they are decent enough once you get your brakes checked over.
If your not happy with the overall performance of the brakes then you could always upgrade your brakes with the 280mm conversion. This set up is from the G60 Golfs & Corrado's and all you require is the brake carriers and 280mm discs, you can use the original Polo GTI callipers.

Very common upgrade and offers a reasonable improvement, the bigger discs also look the part through the wheels.