Engine Management Light

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
JamieG172
Bronze Member

Engine Management Light

Post by JamieG172 »

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH Engine Management Light on AGAIN in my 1.2 (65) 2002 52plate Polo.... I had this the day after I bought the car and I lost all power, called out AA and they replaced one of the cylinder coil packs and all three spark plugs. Then had a similar problem four weeks ago, power felt a bit "lumpy" and kangeroo-ish on delivery, so even without the engine management light on I replaced the other two coil packs to ensure it was all fixed, and it was. Then today, I had the bumpy power delivery back, and the engine management light has come on.

I am taking the car to get plugged into diagnostics tomorrow to see what it throws up, but just wondering if anyone could shed any further light on this matter before I get it diagnosed.

Thanks!!

Jamie
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Re: Engine Management Light

Post by K.I.T.T. »

What Coilpacks (brand) did you use? And did you replace all of them or just two? There's the possibility that the one causing the original fault way back in the day has gone kaput again! The other possible culprits could be spark plugs or HT leads. Having your own diagnostics is invaluable - a scan would probably tell you which cylinder is at fault.

How's things otherwise? Thought you were selling up!?

Ash :)
JamieG172
Bronze Member

Post by JamieG172 »

Hey Ash, yeah slls good mate, will be selling up in the New Year, funds changed so replacement car has been set back abit on the priorities list! Not sure what brand I used - have the box somewhere. AA replaced the original one that went wrong, then I had the other two replaced a few weeks ago, so effectively all three have been replaced in the last 18months...!! Spark plugs were done in the summer at the service...... what are HT leads and how much would they cost to fix/replace?
chewy
Platinum Member

Post by chewy »

Did the light come back on?
JamieG172
Bronze Member

Post by JamieG172 »

Not yet, fingers crossed it holds out! Although when I drove it today carrying two passengers I started the car before leaving but only had time to let it warm up to halfway between cold and 90, and it did slightly struggle accelerating again but I might be paranoid now! Thanks again for your help mate!!! :D
rover220
Gold Member

Post by rover220 »

Should never warm the car up by letting it idle on your driveway. Borewash here we come!