tdi sport suspension

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
onlydiesels
Getting There!

tdi sport suspension

Post by onlydiesels »

i`ve got a 1.9 tdi sport,and having got it back today,(after using a courtesy car for a while) i`ve realised how harsh the front suspension is on anything other than super smooth roads. :shock: ..it`s had new...cupra console bushes,also the front bushes in the arms,new droplinks,anti roll bar rubbers,strut top mounts+bearings (so the dampers have been off/apart..no leaks) so everything is in good nick with all that lot..but it just seems to have no forgiveness over bumps so i`m thinking maybe a spring change,obviously inc. the rears,could be the order of the day,,so has anyone else had this problem/scenario with theirs,especially the same model and what did you do/or recommend ? ? I don`t want to go down the coil over route,i just want something with a bit more comfort,but yet maintain the car`s `sport` character,so maybe progessive rate springs.but which ones ? ?
should add that the car is on san marinos,so maybe not as compliant as the higher profile std sport wheel/tyre combo but it did`nt feel this bad when i first got it nearly 12 months ago.
any recommendations anyone ? :)
onlydiesels
Getting There!

Re: tdi sport suspension

Post by onlydiesels »

anyone ? ?................pleeeeeease :?
chewy
Platinum Member

Post by chewy »

You could try Eibach pro street springs, I had them before the coilovers and miss the ride quality.

I don't have the same engine as you so cant say how the ride will be.
onlydiesels
Getting There!

Post by onlydiesels »

thanks for your reply chewy...anyone else ? ?
Dub_Dan
Gold Member

Post by Dub_Dan »

onlydiesels wrote:thanks for your reply chewy...anyone else ? ?
what size are your wheels mate im running vw 17" alloys and they are so harsh the car feels like it has coilovers and its on stock suspension and bushes.
onlydiesels
Getting There!

Post by onlydiesels »

hi,it`s on 16" san marinos,which have been on since i got the car but i just don`t remember it feeling so harsh before :? .......i`ve got a set of 14" steelies ready to go on for the winter so may notice a bit of an improvement when they`re on.
Dom.
Bronze Member

Post by Dom. »

onlydiesels wrote:i`ve got a set of 14" steelies ready to go on for the winter so may notice a bit of an improvement when they`re on.
You will notice a differnce mate.
onlydiesels
Getting There!

Post by onlydiesels »

Dom. wrote:
onlydiesels wrote:i`ve got a set of 14" steelies ready to go on for the winter so may notice a bit of an improvement when they`re on.
You will notice a differnce mate.
thanks mate, i`m sure i will notice a difference...BUT...it might make me reluctant to put the alloys back on next year :roll:
onlydiesels
Getting There!

Post by onlydiesels »

stuck the steelies on this afternoon..dunno how ride quality is..guess i`ll find out going to and from work this week
i`ll post on how it is.

from this...

to this...

alloys all tucked up for the winter :lol:
Ben90
Silver Member
Drives: Olympian Blue Polo TDi Sport

Post by Ben90 »

Hope I don't derail but I've just picked up a TDi sport with the same alloys, on mine the inner painted section is fine, but the paint has all come off the outer rim, what coat has yours got on it? Is it painted or polished? I'd like to get it sorted before the weather gets much worse/i get a set of winter wheels.
onlydiesels
Getting There!

Post by onlydiesels »

the wheels on mine had just been refurbed before i bought it,....iirc, the guy who had them done said that they were powder coated (or stove enameled) and the outer rim/egde was diamond cut/polished.
it`ll pay to look after your wheels cos when i knew i was buying mine with those wheels on,i priced them up at vw so that i`d have one as a spare too....£586.....each :shock: ,,luckily when i inspected the spare wheel well.....another mint san marino and with a new bridgestone on it too.. result :D :D
Ben90
Silver Member
Drives: Olympian Blue Polo TDi Sport

Post by Ben90 »

Great, thanks for the help, so the rim just needs diamond cutting and polishing then. Yeah I'll need to look after them especially since there's corroded bad quality paint/whatever it is on the outer rim near the tire! Won't do me any favours!

I cant afford winter wheels atm so will just have to be careful this time round.
Pricey aren't they! No wonder they're rare, kudos to the guy/gal who selected them from new =) I also have another as a spare, what a discovery that was :D not yet checked the condition of it but will do!

Thanks again