Turbo cuts out

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Jollus
Bronze Member

Turbo cuts out

Post by Jollus »

Hi,

Im having problems on a cold start with the turbo cutting out. This only happens once every 50 cold starts. I start to drive all fine and then i feel the cut out of the turbo and the car goes into super slow limp mode. No faults appear on the dash for this. When I pull in and turn off/restart the car the turbo comes back and all is fine then. And like I say this only happens once every 50 times I do a cold start.

Any ideas why the car is doing this?
AAimson
New

Re: Turbo cuts out

Post by AAimson »

I've got same problem mate, i believe its a valve not sure though! i've had vagcom and got loads of errors, check my posts pal :)
chewy
Platinum Member

Post by chewy »

Is it a 1.9 or 1.4 tdi?

Could be a few things from the N75 valve playing up to the actuator in the turbo.

See if you can get a fault code reader on it and see what codes are stored.

One thing to try turn the ignition so that the electrics are on but the engine in not running, lift the bonnet and see if you can hear the N75 valve clicking, if it buzzing or not making a noise then it's probably that.

Had the same problem on the g/f's Arosa, but that cleared itself.
JonnyBCK
Bronze Member

Post by JonnyBCK »

ive had this before the car is going into limp mode and as mentioned above those are the most likely problems. another thing i noticed is when i scanned with vagcom the fault never appeared when i got it into limp mode and scanned it it came up. i think it was charge pressure positive deviation.
Jollus
Bronze Member

Post by Jollus »

Thanks for the reply guys. Yeah its a 1.4 tdi remapped to 103 bhp. it was 75bhp before hand. However this cutting out of the turbo used to happen before the remap.

I will check under the bonnet with ignition on and see if I hear a clicking and will report back on that note. Also I will wait until it cuts into limp mode again and will stop on the side of the road and do a scan with it in limp. Hopefully that will show a fault code.

Thanks for your help guys I will report back soon as I get some news :D
derbyloo
New

Post by derbyloo »

i had same problem and turned out the intercooler had a crack about 3inch long on it, changed intercooler and bottom and top hose and its fine now.

cheers