Hazards come on after braking?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
George H
Bronze Member

Post by George H »

Today when I braked quite hard the hazard lights came on. Is this normal? Is there a way I can make it so the car won't do that?
jamesagordon
Bronze Member

Re: Hazards come on after braking?

Post by jamesagordon »

I imagine its a safety feature to warn other drivers behind you of potential dangers - I see people doing it a lot on motorways when you come to dead traffic
George H
Bronze Member

Post by George H »

jamesagordon wrote:I imagine its a safety feature to warn other drivers behind you of potential dangers - I see people doing it a lot on motorways when you come to dead traffic
I see. What a stupid pointless feature, if they don't see the brake lights is there really much chance of them seeing the hazards? :lol:

Is there a way to bypass it? It made me look a right knob sat at the traffic lights with hazards on! I thought my car had broken at first :oops:
jamesagordon
Bronze Member

Post by jamesagordon »

Haha true, although when you see brake lights you dont always expect it to be pedal down braking.

I imagine it's something that could be sorted easily with vagcom :)
mashmarriner
Gold Member

Post by mashmarriner »

It pretty much standard on expensive German cars now. Take a look at audis n mercs it the same

Health n safety mad these days man
WatchcamGTI
Bronze Member

Post by WatchcamGTI »

I know what you mean, but I welcome it - I do a lot of motorway driving, and if it saves someone going up my ar*e then happy days :)
Stiggy
Getting There!

Post by Stiggy »

George H wrote:Today when I braked quite hard the hazard lights came on. Is this normal? Is there a way I can make it so the car won't do that?
I can only imagine that you braked so hard the ABS cut in and hence the hazard lights.

Perhaps you could brake in a less 'hazardous' manner when approaching traffic lights next time :wink:
George H
Bronze Member

Post by George H »

mashmarriner wrote:It pretty much standard on expensive German cars now. Take a look at audis n mercs it the same

Health n safety mad these days man
I had a Merc SL350 before and that didn't have it. Must be some new stupid health and safety feature as you say. What a load of crap, I definitely need to get VAG COM soon so I can change it.
Stiggy wrote:
George H wrote:Today when I braked quite hard the hazard lights came on. Is this normal? Is there a way I can make it so the car won't do that?
I can only imagine that you braked so hard the ABS cut in and hence the hazard lights.

Perhaps you could brake in a less 'hazardous' manner when approaching traffic lights next time :wink:
Since they changed and I was doing 70 on a dual carrigeway I didn't have that much choice. I've braked way harder than that when pushing the car down some back roads and never had them come on, I presume it's only when you come to a stop?
Dub_Dan
Gold Member

Post by Dub_Dan »

I'm going to disagree and say its a good feature... If you have to brake hard and forget to put your hazards on to alert other road users there's more risk for an accident... My old 206 had them but my 9n doesnt :/
Boyracer_2011
Silver Member
Drives: 1.2 Moda

Post by Boyracer_2011 »

Does all the 6r models have this feature, im tempted to go out and give it a try lol
mashmarriner
Gold Member

Post by mashmarriner »

Boyracer_2011 wrote:Does all the 6r models have this feature, im tempted to go out and give it a try lol
we all are now :P
Vissa
Getting There!

Post by Vissa »

I thought every 6R has this safety feature. Atleast my 6R GTI does.

Pretty handy feature indeed, or you rather want someone to crash in your rear.
George H
Bronze Member

Post by George H »

Vissa wrote:I thought every 6R has this safety feature. Atleast my 6R GTI does.

Pretty handy feature indeed, or you rather want someone to crash in your rear.
I really dont see how it stops someone crashing into you. If they don't see your brake lights when slamming on there isn't much chance of them seeing the hazards either to be honest.
mozzapologti
Getting There!

Post by mozzapologti »

you must have braked really hard i have done some agressive breaking and havnt nooticed it on my gti might have to do it bit harder lol
George H
Bronze Member

Post by George H »

mozzapologti wrote:you must have braked really hard i have done some agressive breaking and havnt nooticed it on my gti might have to do it bit harder lol
Not particularily hard, I didn't slam on or anything. Just braked fairly hard until I came to a stop, then they came on.