polo 9n engine swap 1.2 to 1.8 gti ??

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Rubz94
New

Post by Rubz94 »

i've got a 1.2 9n 65ps polo the engine is very close to dying and iv put a lot of money into the car like wheels smoothing out all bumper strips etc and now i feel that the 1.2 engine is not worth replacing with another 1.2 so now i wanted to do a gti conversion preferably from a 9n3 gti or maybe even a golf im aware of the costs and i dont really mind just need to know what can fit and with what work really so any help will be appreciated.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: polo 9n engine swap 1.2 to 1.8 gti ??

Post by RUM4MO »

I'd think the most cost effective way to do this is to, replace or fix that engine, then sell that car to someone that appreciates it but needs lower insurance, then buy a GTI - then work on it to bring it up to how you want it to be. I'd think that you have not fully costed what needs done to get that 9N up from 1.2 to 1.8T - engine + drive train + brakes/hubs + suspension + other fuelling mods + electronics + wiring looms + ???, I'd reckon that it would end up being cheaper to do what I've suggested, though maybe not so much "fun".
Dub_Dan
Gold Member

Post by Dub_Dan »

Mate just get a 9n3 gti it's a new car looks nicer than the 9n and it was always meant to be a 1.8t... This is coming from a 9n owner they are starting to look dated now...
chewy_
Bronze Member

Post by chewy_ »

You can make anything fit as long as you've got enough time/money

As said above you'd be better off buying something with more power in the first place
g__humm
Platinum Member

Post by g__humm »

Another option is getting a gti that has been rear ended and convert all of your one.