EPC light brake light switch problem

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Ladiesman_317
Bronze Member

EPC light brake light switch problem

Post by Ladiesman_317 »

Hello there, Last week I noticed that the dreaded EPC light had lit up on my speedo, and i had a feeling it was the brake light switch because my lights werent working, after researching, i found out this was a common case, fortunately for me the light went off again after a few hours and my brake lights were operating again, however its come back to give me a hard time, and the epc light wont turn off, ive ordered a new part for it, but i have no idea how to replace the damn thing, i wanna avoid going to the dealers cause they'll probably charge me an arm and a leg. so i was wondering if someone on here could kindly help me out by giving me detailed instructions on how to replace it.
Thank you
Newaz

Oh and lastly, I have this switch Image however, I ordered this one off eurocarparts Image
I entered my registration and it came up as "recommended", but im not sure if its gonna fit and theres no option to cancel the order.. grrr problems and problems.
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Re: EPC light brake light switch problem

Post by blazeguarder »

It's literally a process of unplug the connector, turn 45 degrees anticlockwise (?) remove and refit. Then check the lights to make sure that they come on and off. It's quite self explanatory when you look at it.

If the one you have doesn't fit, a new one from VW is £5. And they usually have a good few in stock.
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Amen. Not saying the the ECP one won't fit, but sometimes it's better if you get the part from the stealers. They usually have these in stock - mine went 3 years ago.

Ash
Ladiesman_317
Bronze Member

Post by Ladiesman_317 »

Totally forgot to update the situation on this, the whole process was very simple and exactly as the lads instructed me. the clips which hold it seemed abit fiddly though, felt like they were about the snap, but i managed to get the brake lights to work. On another note.. the EPC light wont turn off. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If its just a simple case of clearing the fault codes, anybody know how much a garage would charge to get this done?
Thanks
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

They'd probably charge you half an hours labour, which is about £35 or so at my local indy... You might be better off getting a universal diagnostic scanner for around that price though. You'll be able to clear the code and have it handy for any other faults that might turn up.

If that doesn't work, try replacing the brake light bulbs. Sounds daft but it worked on mine which had a similar problem a while ago...
wildman_33
New

Post by wildman_33 »

When I had the brake light switch go on my old 6N2 the dealers only charged me about £40 for parts and fitting and they cleaned the car inside and out as well, the light came back on a day later and the dealers fitted it again for free. Id definitely recommend anyone with this problem asks how much they will charge to fix it as they fix a lot of these so it doesnt even take them and hour to fix so the cost really isnt that bad
Ladiesman_317
Bronze Member

Post by Ladiesman_317 »

Took my car to the local and explained the matter, they said it was a 2 min process and they werent busy working so they did it Free of charge! Happy Days! On a side note, he did TRY to mention that 5 other faults appeared on his obd scanner, but at that point of time, i was too excited to give a s**t, now I think I should have paid attention LOL