Polo not starting... flashing key signal in the dash

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Parm S
New

Polo not starting... flashing key signal in the dash

Post by Parm S »

my polo sometimes fails to start... i have to keep taking the key out and then putting it back in before it starts and when it does it cuts out and then doesnt start again for another 10-15 minutes. also when it does this there is a picture of a flashing key that flashes in the dash... does anyone know why this is? it happens when i use both my keys... thanks.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Polo not starting... flashing key signal in the dash

Post by alexperkins »

If the key is flashing its an immobiliser fault. Best get the car scanned to find out whats going on.
mark03polo9n
New

Post by mark03polo9n »

this could possibly be happening because your car has two keys. sometimes the immobiliser system on the car gets confused because of the mixed signals. also, if you have another vw key for another car on the same keyring this can also confuse the immobiliser and stop it from functioning. but i agree you should get scanned and checked out as it maybe something simpler but speaking from experience it could be because you have two keys
Parm S
New

Post by Parm S »

Nice 1 mate, will get it checked out.
wildman_33
New

Post by wildman_33 »

Did you get this sorted in the end, I was having the exact same problem except my one would start up again after cutting out, I had my battery changed as it was the original and its been absolutely fine since, hasn't happened at all. The garage reckoned it could of been the voltage dropping as it starts confusing the immobiliser.