Help with WIFI Poweline adapters CALLING ALL TECHIES!

Non-VW related chat - Moderated
Ladiesman_317
Bronze Member

Post by Ladiesman_317 »

So I've recently upgraded my broadband to sky, I say recently but its more like 6 months, anyway, the router they have provided me with is absolutely SHOCKING. I can barely recieve any signal upstairs. This led me to pop down to my local pc world this morning, asked a few of the techies there, and they showed me this, the TP Link TP-PA411KIT powerline adapter kit. Now the price in store was £79.99 if I can remember correctly, so its abit funny seeing it almost near half that online. Anyway, here is my problem, the guy said I have to hard-wire one of the ethernet cables from the router to one of the powerlines, and i can place the other powerline anywhere upstairs. I did ask him do i have to wire the other one to a pc? Because its mainly for my ipad/iphone etc. he said thats not necessary.. but I'm having a hard time believing that, because they both have ethernet ports underneath.. was wondering if someone could give me some insight on this.
Thank you.
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tp-link-t ... g~16842033
benmkiv
Platinum Member

Post by benmkiv »

Hi buddy these will not do as you require they are not wireless access points just Ethernet extensions so it would have to be hard wired to a hub or repeater of some sort. These are okay for Xbox or a pc but useless or a wireless device like iPad or iPhone. Also do not rate these think its a bit dodgy running data across your home power networks. These are made for electric not data. As a computer science student take my advice on this mate ;)
Hope this helps
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Help with WIFI Poweline adapters CALLING ALL TECHIES!

Post by alexperkins »

Netgear do a very good plugin wireless range extender

http://www.maplin.co.uk/netgear-univers ... der-531662

Its very neat, and all you do is plug it into the wall and it connects to your existing network, and extends it - very simple.
Ben90
Silver Member
Drives: Olympian Blue Polo TDi Sport

Post by Ben90 »

^ We have one of these too, they work great at boosting the connection downstairs. I also find that the WiFi receivers on Apple gadgets are weak sauce.
drennan
Gold Member

Post by drennan »

Yes i also use these and u can have 1 at the modem and a couple at the sources thy dont need to be paired up
Ladiesman_317
Bronze Member

Post by Ladiesman_317 »

Well I cancelled my purchase on the TL-PA411, because as benmkiv pointed out, it would have just turned out to be an extension, which is what i wanted to avoid, so i bought the TL-WPA281, which is a powerline wireless repeater, must admit its a fine bit of kit, no drop in speed and was fairly simple to install.. Havent really done any major testing/work via the repeater, but if anyone has any questions then give me a shout.
Thanks guys

Oh and happy new year.