Had my polo for a month and having a few problems!

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Golemsmate
New

Had my polo for a month and having a few problems!

Post by Golemsmate »

Does anybody know an easy way to find out when my car was built? I keep seeing polos in front of me with their exhaust hidden but mine sticks out on the left hand side. Is the hidden exhaust a feature from the earlier or newer polos? Or is it merely because they're 1.2s and mine is a 1.4?

The reason I ask is because I bought the 2012 plate polo in December but I'm experiencing a few faults that I have seen on this forum to affect 2010 plates. I'm beginning to worry that mine is an older version that was registered later. The problems I'm having are:

- indicator failure light has come on twice in two weeks. First telling me my right one is broken and the second time the left one. Both of which went off after turning the ignition off. If it goes in to the VW garage, would they have a record of the fault on the PC?

- There is a knocking noise when I go over anything larger than small speed bumps, even at very slow speeds. This can be intermittent, so knowing my luck it won't do it for them.

- The door handles are quite stiff and difficult to pull open.

It's due to go in later this week, so I'll find out what they think. Hopefully they already know about the issues!
Golemsmate
New

Re: Had my polo for a month and having a few problems!

Post by Golemsmate »

Thought I'd add a photo of my car!

DubbisH
Getting There!

Post by DubbisH »

I might be wrong on this but im sure higher spec models like the SEL have the exhaust coming through the bumper on the left.... the other bits and bobs dont seem like there too major so your doing the right thing by giving it them to look over again for you.

*DubbisH*
jimbo_tdi
Bronze Member

Post by jimbo_tdi »

They 1.4's, R-Line and SEL's have the single exhaust pipe showing, I like it, it breaks up the back abut, you can get an A3 trim to go over it which has a chrome effect... If you don't like it then you can always swap bumpers with me! ;) the other problems I can't help you with, you could try some lubrication spray like WD40 or whilst it's in the garage ask them to put some cylinder lock spray in for you.
Golemsmate
New

Post by Golemsmate »

Car is going in tomorrow morning, will report back if they find anything :)
Golemsmate
New

Post by Golemsmate »

indicator problem was fixed through a software update (sounds really weird saying this in relation to a car)

all the door handles were lubricated and they feel much better.

And most importantly they couldn't diagnose the knocking noise but they removed the top link, cleaned them up and fitted them again. But they've said come back at any time if the noise happens.
john.p.clegg
Bronze Member

Post by john.p.clegg »

"Does anybody know an easy way to find out when my car was built? "...it's on the vin plate..

John :wink:
Golemsmate
New

Post by Golemsmate »

@john.p.clegg - Cheers, looking online it says the 10th says the year. Mine is C, little bit confused but does that mean it was built in 2012? Quite surprised as it is a 12 plate.

Cheers!
jimbo_tdi
Bronze Member

Post by jimbo_tdi »

http://www.clubvw.org.au/vwvin - according to that it was built in 2012...
Golemsmate
New

Post by Golemsmate »

And built in South Africa! Had a quick trip from being built and then registered in Feb!
jimbo_tdi
Bronze Member

Post by jimbo_tdi »

Mines the same, it was registered March 2011 and was made in 2011 :D
PogoCT
Getting There!

Post by PogoCT »

Golemsmate wrote:And built in South Africa! Had a quick trip from being built and then registered in Feb!

We pump out these polos like nobody's business :lol:
Golemsmate
New

Post by Golemsmate »

@pogoCT - its actually quite impressive!!

& the mysterious knocking noise might be solved. My brother (in the dark) saw that the air conditioning pipe was knocking against the side of the bonnet. Just had to shift the rubber protector along. Yet to go over any bumps but I'm trying to be positive!
jakovdub
Silver Member

Post by jakovdub »

I've got the audi a3 tip on mine, can't really tell in this picture though but it's the only one i got of it, just looks good and thickens the exhaust and alsi in a chrome finish, can't even tell its a tip as no clamps are visible :)
Golemsmate
New

Post by Golemsmate »

@jakovdub finally got round to taking a picture, mine seems to look quite similar to yours. I assume the current exhaust is standard on mine.