Anyone own a bonnet bra?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
aaronon
Gold Member

Anyone own a bonnet bra?

Post by aaronon »

Are these good?

I've had these two weeks off and driven around Ireland and a lot of the roads were awful so when I looked at my bonnet this afternoon in Downpatrick i almost had a heart attack and stone chips are mental.

I'm gonna leave it in to get the bonnet resprayed tomorrow at my local (they're very good) but am wondering about the future.

I really loved some of the places and might go the odd weekend ; but obviously not when it's going to savage my bonnet!!!

Wondering of buying a bonnet bra and sticking it on for long trips but not sure if they actually do anything?
jammydodger
Silver Member
Drives: 6R GTI

Re: Anyone own a bonnet bra?

Post by jammydodger »

They stop the paint chipping but instead leave a small indentation where the stones hit the paint... Tbh you're still gonna get ships further up the bonnet and on the bumper, I've even got some on my roof! :(
aaronon
Gold Member

Post by aaronon »

EUGH that's pointless then lol :S
aaronon
Gold Member

Post by aaronon »

This looks like it would cover where my stone chips are.

I'd only have it on for an hour of driving then take it off when I get there and put it back one when leaving (so don't think I'd suffer from paint defects and bubbling that I've read about)

http://www.autobra.co.uk/shop/polo-2009 ... 6_732.html
Garfy
Bronze Member

Post by Garfy »

I've seen a few cars lately with these bonnet bras on. Boy they look bloody ugly, I'd rather do without.
aaronon
Gold Member

Post by aaronon »

Yeah and I read some horror stories. They move around which can cause paint damage when driving and if grit gets in then while you're driving it can get all scratched in!!
Garfy
Bronze Member

Post by Garfy »

In which case they potentially do as much, if not more damage than stone chips. So why have one?
robbieg
Getting There!

Post by robbieg »

I have one,
which is now the 2nd as the strap snapped on the first. i think they do a good job, and as a driving tuition car it actually gets my car noticed better too.
I also had one on my Mk6 Golf that i used before the Polo.
aaronon
Gold Member

Post by aaronon »

Garfy wrote:In which case they potentially do as much, if not more damage than stone chips. So why have one?
Yeah I've gone off it now from stories and this thread. I also don't like the idea of film as it would look weird I think.