noises coming from my car... help?!

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
The_Nasman
New
Drives: 6n2

noises coming from my car... help?!

Post by The_Nasman »

hi everyone, i've been having a few problems with my polo:

recently my exhaust emission light came on, the car sounded and drove fine until last night. i was driving home and i noticed a faint rattle when my foot was on the accelerator, it sounded like it was coming from my exhaust but i'm not too sure

when the car was idle, i noticed there was a grinding/rattling sound coming from the front of the car when my foot was on the clutch. when i lifted my foot the noise kind of fainted out.

another problem is that my ABS light keeps coming on and going off. sometimes it comes on straight away when i turn the car on, sometimes it doesn't.

does anyone know what could be wrong with my car?

thank you
joe2612
Gold Member

Re: noises coming from my car... help?!

Post by joe2612 »

The grinding/rattling noise that stops when you depress the clutch is likely to be your clutch release bearing.

The ABS fault may be due to a sensor, or the actual ABS module itself. If you know someone with VCDS they can scan the car and tell you . The same goes for the emission light, although the rattling sound you describe indicates the Catalytic Converter. #

Joe
The_Nasman
New

Post by The_Nasman »

hi Joe

i got that the wrong way round, when the car is idle, not in gear and my foot isn't pressed on the clutch, the rattling/grinding noise starts, but when my foot is pressed on the clutch, the noise stops, so could it still be the clutch release bearing? and if so do you know how much it would cost to fix? (parts and labor included)

unfortunately i dont know anyone with a VCDS, so i cant get the car scanned. either way i have to take the car to a garage to get it fixed, by any chance can you estimate how much in total it would cost to get it all fixed?

Nas
joe2612
Gold Member

Post by joe2612 »

Yes could still be the release bearing, it stops when the clutch is depressed as it's not engaged. In terms of replacing, It's a gearbox off job unfortunately, that's the most labour intensive part. Replacing the bearing is relatively easy and the part is cheap. Maybe around 200 all in? Can't be 100% sure.

Where abouts are you located? It may be worth seeing if any other members on here local to you would be kind enough to scan your car.
The_Nasman
New

Post by The_Nasman »

yeah i went to a garage yesterday, and they told me it was the release bearing, i was told i might aswell wait until the clutch goes until i get the bearing replaced.

and i'm located in Leeds, how can i find out if anyone else on here is from Leeds aswell?