Alloys for a 'Nimbus' Grey 6R? Any recommendations?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
aaronon
Gold Member

Alloys for a 'Nimbus' Grey 6R? Any recommendations?

Post by aaronon »

Hey everyone,

You may or may not know i've a Grey 6R and am going to get the VW lowering kit (30mm front and back) so was also thinking of splashing out on a new set of wheels.

How much lower is the GTi than a normal polo? Of it's just 30mm then I guess that means my new 17's will be an easy straight swap with no chance of arch rubbing etc as the gti comes with 17's.

But I'm not sure what to get or what will suit the grey Polo? I saw some replica BBS Rs wheels and they look very nice on a white Polo and are £600 here in NI with tyres on - but will they suit my car? Do you think they're nice?

Here are the BBS: http://www.autoalloys.com/Search%20Allo ... -5x100-112

Here's another set which look quite nice: http://www.autoalloys.com/Search%20Allo ... 17-ZCW-ZS1

All this talk of rubbing arches, and wheels poking has confused the life out of me. Help meeeeeeeee
lxm
Bronze Member

Re: Alloys for a 'Nimbus' Grey 6R? Any recommendations?

Post by lxm »

Has to be the official VW Knight or Syenit alloys.

(red above, mattS on the forum)
(took this yesterday)
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

A black 6R with those alloys went past me when I was walking home from uni today, it had evidently just been cleaned and waxed properly as it was gleaming. Looked fantastic. Awesome looks + OEM = What more could you want?
aaronon
Gold Member

Post by aaronon »

Those alloys look great lxm!

Problem is they'll be a lot more than £600 all in :(:(

That grey Polo is exactly how mine would look. Looks awesome, and they're 16's too... They look like 17s!

How much is that lowered by ATM?

Syenit look great. What's the difference between those and the Knights?

These are Syenits aren't they? They're from the official polo accessories mag and they're £160 without tyres :(

http://www.eurotuner.com.my/VW/08.jpg

Do you reckon that Polo in the picture is dropped 30mm die to that being the only option in that same book? I think it looks perfect that wee gap between the arch and wheel! It doesn't say anything about what size profile tyres are on that though :(

I was set on BBS but you've definitely swayed me haha! I'm concerned vw have photoshopped that image though to make the alloys to look bigger, and the car lower so id love to see them in a real photo with 30mm drop! Unless you're picture above is that and then that's great now I know! :)
lxm
Bronze Member

Post by lxm »

Some people have said around the web that the knights are silver alloys with the black inserts and the Syenit has an anthracite surface with black inserts.

From my own little investigation I've come to the conclusion that both alloys have the same front colour, difference being that the inserts are different;

Knights = gloss black insert and the Syenit has the anthracite gloss insert (see picture below)

Syenit
Knight

I may be completely wrong.

The link you posted , I believe that VW have photoshopped that image, the grey polo side on picture that I posted is a true account of that they will look like.
Joe9n3
Bronze Member

Post by Joe9n3 »

Official vw alloys look shocking :!: would never fit them to my car, do the right thing and find a set of nice aftermarket wheels, pref 17x7.5 with 215/40/17 rubber. Job Done!

Also fit the H&R springs instead 25/40, hell of a better drop than the vw ones 8)
C17LJR
Bronze Member

Post by C17LJR »

Joe9n3 wrote:Official vw alloys look shocking :!: would never fit them to my car, do the right thing and find a set of nice aftermarket wheels, pref 17x7.5 with 215/40/17 rubber. Job Done!

Also fit the H&R springs instead 25/40, hell of a better drop than the vw ones 8)
Not all of them, sometimes ones that don't look good on one car can on another

Do agree with the H&R comment though, that's if you don't want coilovers
nVIR
New

Post by nVIR »

I'd go with 17" Boavistas - they look beast, especially if the car is sitting with the VW Racing springs in them!
ubiquitous-j
Bronze Member

Post by ubiquitous-j »

+1 for Boavistas

Easily the nicest 17in alloys VW have done for years!
StreetTriple
New

Post by StreetTriple »

Yeah love my bovista's....but needs lowered!!

aaronon
Gold Member

Post by aaronon »

Thanks for all the replies guys, and the explanation of the differences between knights and scents. Is 7.5 wide exactly what I need? Do 7's look crap?

I have to admit I just don't like Boavista's. There's just something about them I don't like so I can't be getting those :(

Are H&R that much better? I wanted to be OEM and get only VW specified springs :(

I saw a photo on Instagram of the syenit when the car on the official VW lowering springs.

What do you guys think? I think that 17's would fill that small gap in the arches a bit more while not making it too low (there's a lot of ramps here in Belfast LOL) so the only thing I'm wary of in terms of the Syenit's are the fact they're 16.

Last edited by aaronon on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Post by K.I.T.T. »

You do realise the OEM lowering kit is made by Eibach? You may as well get the Eibach Pro Kit for half price, or get the H&R kit. It's like paying £15 for an air filter that's in VAG packaging instead of buying a Hengst / Mann filter (who supply VAG) from a motor factors for £5. They're both the same thing.

Ash
aaronon
Gold Member

Post by aaronon »

K.I.T.T. wrote:You do realise the OEM lowering kit is made by Eibach? You may as well get the Eibach Pro Kit for half price, or get the H&R kit. It's like paying £15 for an air filter that's in VAG packaging instead of buying a Hengst / Mann filter (who supply VAG) from a motor factors for £5. They're both the same thing.

Ash
I thought i'd have to go OEM if I wanted to keep my 3 year free service plan.
Last edited by aaronon on Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Post by K.I.T.T. »

You sure it's 30 / 30 and not 25 / 30 (that's what the EIbach Pro Kit is)? Double check with regards to the service plan - it may void any warranty related to suspension components but they can't not honour the service plan if you want to add your own personal touch to the car. Going by that notion, you're also screwed if you fit aftermarket alloys.

Ash
aaronon
Gold Member

Post by aaronon »

Yeah that's a good point KITT!

I've saw Oz Chronos on Instagram and they look AMAZING! Don't seem to be made anymore though :(

These look kind of nice. . .but are only 7.5 and I've been told to get 8 so i'm not sure if they'd therefore look really wrong!

Does the fact they're 7.5 rather than 8 mean they could run off my arches or something?