New here, looking at buying a 6R GTi.

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
TheDoggingFather
New
Drives: Honda Currently

New here, looking at buying a 6R GTi.

Post by TheDoggingFather »

Hi,
I'm thinking about replacing my aging Honda with a Polo 6R GTi, I've read about most of the common issues, oil consumption etc. My main reason for posting is, I recently took part in my first track day and was enquiring to how well the little Polo handles track use? Anybody got any track experience with one? Any thoughts/advice much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

TDF
tommytse22
Bronze Member
Drives: polo gti

Re: New here, looking at buying a 6R GTi.

Post by tommytse22 »

Hello,

what honda have you got currently ?

i have just had the polo for over 2 weeks now basic model. cant really fault it tbh! only downside for me so far is that the rides a bit bumpy but i did come from a fiesta zetec s mk7 they are completely different cars! the polo has got the power when you want it! but also have some lag because of the automatic! but it get time to get used to and feel how the car goes! i have to admit i havnt really given the car a good run yet as it does scares me it feels like i cant go round corner fast! but i think this is due to me having two different cars and they both handle different! so yeah only 2 weeks of ownership with 800 miles so far the i had use about half a dip stick so around 500ml.. to me is alot but other people say thats normal! but as people say it is such a power little car for a 1.4l it will drink! all the other cars i have had never drink oil between services! just be caution about this! other then that cars great :)
Joe9n3
Bronze Member

Post by Joe9n3 »

New polo gti comes out january next year.... wait for that

or if not

it depends which one you get how bad/good the oil consumption is, BUT as far as handling goes.... a few suspension/arb/brakes upgrades the lightweight polo would be awesome!!

i have suspension tweaks and vcds tweaks only and already feels great!! was going to get the arb kit next but i want the new one :D
TheDoggingFather
New

I currently drive a '98 Civic VTi Aerodeck, 150,000 miles fresh.

I was looking at 2011 models, my first port of call on the mods would be Whiteline Rear Anti-Roll Bar and a Revo map. With a trip to a friend to play with his VAGCOM and crank up the brake assist and the XDS. Maybe a set of Bilstein coilovers in the future.
tommytse22
Bronze Member
Drives: polo gti

Post by tommytse22 »

WOW thats going be a huge change of car complexly different cars! well hope it all goes well!
lovemypolo6r
New

Post by lovemypolo6r »

the 1.4 TSI is a good engine but like you already know the CAVE(engine code) engine has problems, replaced 2 of these at work! the GTI handles well but understeers quite badly, straight line speed is awesome though, but could do with a remap so it can pull better from 120-140ish! If you can afford it wait until january for the New Polo GTI it has a 1.8 Turbo producing 189ps. its also got a manual box which is some more fun in my opinion:) hope this helps
TheDoggingFather
New

Understeer is a problem I used to suffer with my Honda when I first got it actually, I dealt with this buy adding a rear anti-roll bar from an MG ZS, if it wasn't for that mod I probably would have moved it on years ago LOL! So the Whiteline or the H&R rear anti-roll bar kit will probably be my first port of call, can't stand a car I can't chuck around. Especially one with the fabled GTI badge on its boot! Thanks for all the advice so far 8)
Mart!n-GTI-DK
Platinum Member
Drives: '14 Polo BlueGT

Post by Mart!n-GTI-DK »

The 6R GTI is a gamble to buy... The engine is know to both use ALOT of oil and stretch the timing chain which causes the valves and pistons to smash together destroying the engine. And also the DSG7 gearbox has alot of faults and is known to break aswell.

I would personally never go anywhere near buying a 6R GTI.
ben4012
Getting There!

Post by ben4012 »

My 63 reg 2014MY CTHE hasn't used more than 1/3 of the dipstick in 10000 miles. As said some are good, some not so much.