Stuart's Blue Polo GTi

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
sblack650
New

Stuart's Blue Polo GTi

Post by sblack650 »

Everyone loves a good photo filled build thread so I thought I'd post mine.

Bought from Leicster VW last October time. Had to fly over and drive it home to Belfast. Hard to find a good blue Gti for sale in the UK never mind NI.

All looking nice and stock.
Moving from a 1.2 9n I didnt want to go maad with power too soon, 50bhp - 150bhp was a big enough increase for a little while.

The new and the old.
Last edited by sblack650 on Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Stuart's Blue Polo GTi

Post by alexperkins »

You need to get the JPEG links for the images rather than the gallery web addresses :)
sblack650
New

Post by sblack650 »

got it, and apologies for the crappy 3gs photos. They'll get better.
sblack650
New

Post by sblack650 »

The paintwork was in fairly bad nic, I'd love to say I did it myself but I'm not good enough with a buff to satisfy my own OCD. Got it detailed by polished pursuits. He did a much better job than I could have.

Very Pleased with the results, massive improvement on how I bought it.
sblack650
New

Post by sblack650 »

When I bought the car I also bought a set of bilstein b14's but put off putting them on for a while.
First thing I did was a massive K&N. I had originally designed it to be a cone in the box with a 90deg bend so it gets a good cold air feed out of the original air box. Then I decided this was a bit naf as I couldnt hear as much whoo chooo which is the main reason I installed it so just stuck it straight onto the maf.

I thought the standard brakes were crap so that was next on the list. I think they should have been fitted with the mk4 golf gti setup from the factory. First was a set of 312mm fronts I got of e-bay as a bolt on set. Fitting was very handy, me and my bro fitted them in under an hour.

alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Looking good Stu :)
Gticrazy
New
Drives: Vw polo gti 07

Post by Gticrazy »

Very nice car ,I'm looking at wheels for mine but not sure what looks best
sblack650
New

Post by sblack650 »

Thanks guys, theres plenty more to stick up when I get time.
sblack650
New

Post by sblack650 »

Ha, your right. You could count them on one hand.
I'm picking spark plugs here for a service. I've a list of them on europcarparts that fit ranging from £2-£11 each. What's the difference? Any performance reliability gains?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

I would only use genuine VW spark plugs :) They arent much more than what euro would charge, if anything
sblack650
New

Post by sblack650 »

Here it is looking all waxy and with a 6R aerial installed.

I had a major cock up with some ridiculously powerful main beam bulbs and damaged the lens of the light cluster so had to replace that. Made for a good time to fit the lower honeycomb grills.
First took a reference for the beam height.

The new and the old

Next up is wheels and lows
sblack650
New

Post by sblack650 »

So I finally got around to fitting the bilsteins and a set of aristos that I bought of the forum, this is how it stood. I liked doing things right so I set the ride height with a set of linear calipers to start of with to their recommended minimum height.

Then I decided to screw that as the back looked way too high so I took the adjusters out and let the springs sit on the mount with a plastic washer in between.

So those black anodized adjusters are now out. I then immediately took the car to an impromptu track day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgloMJOk2IM
This was my first ever track day so was just getting to learn the track in that video. As you can see the back brake discs were never in good condition so it was inevitable that the pads were going to get destroyed and the track did that along with destroying a nearly worn set of tires that hadn't been tracked since I lowered the car.

I cheaped out on it at the time and replaced only the pads. So the crappy discs scrubbed through them in another few months and another track day. I first planned to replace pads and discs but, I bought a set of 256mm that needed reconditioning. I'll throw some photos of them up soon.
I have a few photos from the second track day, just waiting to get them of a mate. It was a lot of fun but it is costly, for one I used a full tank in 1 hour of track time.