Need some help with my tyres!

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
IZVVC
Bronze Member

Need some help with my tyres!

Post by IZVVC »

Hi guys so I recently updated my wheels from 15 to 17 inch, but I'm struggling to understand what my fuel cap is trying to say I should set my tyre pressure is.

I went from the 185/60/ R15 which said I should set it as 28 but I dunno what it's trying to say for my new 215/40/ r17s, like I don't understand the two columns of different pressures. Could someone clarify this for me please.

Thanks
IZVVC
Bronze Member

Re: Need some help with my tyres!

Post by IZVVC »

Heres a picture of the info on my fuel cap Image
ben4012
Getting There!

Post by ben4012 »

On the GTI with those sizes standard: 2.1 bar rear and 2.3 bar front.

On your label it's saying there are two pressures relating to two people or a car load.
IZVVC
Bronze Member

Post by IZVVC »

but why does next to my the 17 inch tyres does it show 5 people, I hardly ever have 5 people in my car? what does it mean? and oooh so are you saying the two collums show the pressure for the front and the other side for the back?
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw)

Post by wolfie »

IZVVC wrote:but why does next to my the 17 inch tyres does it show 5 people, I hardly ever have 5 people in my car? what does it mean? and oooh so are you saying the two collums show the pressure for the front and the other side for the back?
It's simply indicating the tyre pressures for the vehicle loaded or unloaded.

First column is the range of tyre sizes relating to that vehicle. ( in this case 175/70R14 - 215/4017R)
Second column is whether it laden or un-laden.
Third column is front axle pressure.
Forth is rear axle pressures.

In a nutshell if you're mostly running round in an empty car use the top-line pressures. I car full off mates, bottom line. (always check the tyres when they are cold)