oil leak

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
Blue MK2
New

oil leak

Post by Blue MK2 »

Just got hold of a run-around mk2 1.3 S coupe polo.

Been having a slight problem....

small oil leak, but where from? i tried to trace the leak back to the problemed area but i gave up.

Is their a common fault with this leak on these models by any chance? Will save me time if anyone could point out there the leak could come from. Rocker cover gasket is leaking slightly but not that bad. Sump plug maybe???

Im very handly with a spanner by the way :wink:

Thanx in advance
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

Sump plug seems fine if it's tightened up properly after changing oil.... though the washers can get manky if it's left a long time! The main places i've found leakage are my filter (didn't tighten it up quite far enough i guess - a quick extra forceful twist fixed it) and again the rocker cover. Needs a new gasket itself, but it aint leaking *so* much to be bothered about it til i can get a torque wrench.

Hope t'aint your head gasket :shock:

Mebbe the gearbox? :lol:
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

Theres a couple of places where it can leak, Yes there are the usual places like the sump plug and oil filter, there are other places too like the sump gasket, and rocker cover gasket. Also the sump can become porous if its an old one. Another common one is the headgasket above the alternator.
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Sadly, when they decide to leak they can leak from pretty much anywhere. I have still yet to work out where mine's leaking from, although I suspect the sump gasket.. best thing to do is park it over a sheet of cardboard, leave it overnight and work out which area of the engine the oil's coming from, should be easy enough from there...
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Irrelevant, I know, but I've just traced my oil leak back to the oil filter (I think..). Something to keep me occupied tomorrow afternoon...
Tahrey1043
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

just tighten it up. 10 second job with a pair of marigolds on :D
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Well, thought I may as well replace the filter. Only a couple of quid, and I doubt it's been done for a long time, plus it may be that the gasket's a bit dodgy anyway. I shall be doing this when it's stopped pissing it down with rain :)
mk2matt
Silver Member

Post by mk2matt »

the places where the all leak are as follows:

sump plug
oil filter
sump gasket
rocker gasket
feul pump (mechanical pump only)
head
breather pipe

i hope i aint put anyone off but if you look after your car your car will look after you
Blue MK2
New

Post by Blue MK2 »

found the leak.

Its the oil temp sensor. Gushing oil from the actual sensor and not its gasket.

Anyone know how much VW charge for these as i also need one for my Golf MK2?

Cheers for the replys

Sat
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Hmm.. didn't know there was an oil temp sensor fitted to mk2's.. sure it's not the pressure sensor? I was under the impression that the temperature readings relied soley on the coolant temperature.

If it's the pressure sensor, it's a small enough part that a VW dealership will charge some absolutely extortionate price for it.. you'd probably be better off going to GSF (www.gsfcarparts.com) or similar. GSF charge £2.00 for the sensor, so it shouldn't break the bank :)
madmatt

those sensers ur on about

Post by madmatt »

they are actully preasure sensors there is a black one and a green one on the back of the head one is high pressure and the other is low preasure but carnt remember which one is which oh yeah to remove them u will need a 24 mm spanner
Blue MK2
New

Post by Blue MK2 »

yaeh that sensor thingy :lol:

cheers,
Rob119
New

Post by Rob119 »

i wish my leak cost 2.00 to fix
looks like its costing me another gearbox again
as even bodge jobs wont work
running out of ideas

had evostick on it
no nails
and some stuff for fixin marble fireplaces together
and liquid metal
k4lps
Bronze Member

Post by k4lps »

mk2matt wrote:the places where the all leak are as follows:

sump plug
oil filter
sump gasket
rocker gasket
feul pump (mechanical pump only)
head
breather pipe

i hope i aint put anyone off but if you look after your car your car will look after you
you 4got cam shaft seal :P
Tahrey1043

Post by Tahrey1043 »

Rob119 wrote: had evostick on it
no nails
and some stuff for fixin marble fireplaces together
and liquid metal
:D looks like what my pedals might come down to.... whats "Liquid metal"? (i'm assuming some brand name, rather than actual red-hot melted iron)

oh aye, this bugger's got a leak too now, enough to be dripping on the driveway... fantastic... psychic rays from this thread. Cam gasket, at the belt end - hopefully... (which will probably involve another cambelt change for safetys sake - leaking oil soaking thru to affect rubberised belt, nice)