4 lamp grille wiring woes

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
Krupa
Gold Member

4 lamp grille wiring woes

Post by Krupa »

So far on my brother's Mk2, nothing has been simple, here's my latest problem:

I bought a 4 lamp grille for it at BVF, which is now on the car. I've got bulbs and the wires and plastic cap to cover the bulbs up. Problem is I have NO idea what that connects to!

Both spots have a connector which plugs into the headlight wiring, problem is that doing so stops the headlights working. I'm confused.

How do I wire them up? Anyone got pictures I can work from?

If it was a Mk3 I'd knock up a wiring loom like I've done on mine but I know jack all about Mk2s so I'm learning as I go.

Any help much appreciated!
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Glad you asked that question, because when I went to take photos of it, I noticed that one of the wires was dangling in a rather useless way.. obviously hadn't crimped it properly :oops:

Basically, you have two wires coming from your new headlamps. One wire needs to connect to the brown wire going into one side of the 3 connector socket on the back of the main lamps, and the other needs to connect to the black / white wire going into the other side of the connector. Doesn't matter which way around the wires go, as long as they go to those two wires.

Good luck :)
Krupa
Gold Member

Post by Krupa »

Cool, so do you just tug the wires out of the headlamp connector and tuck the new ones in then? I wanna get this right first time! :shock:
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Yeah, release the cables by sticking a screwdriver into the slot in the front of the connector, uncrimp the existing cables, stick the new ones in, crimp it all up again (firmly, don't really want it falling out as mine did..), and stick it back in the connector block. It's a pretty simple task really :)
k4lps
Bronze Member

Post by k4lps »

Krupa
Gold Member

Post by Krupa »

Cool, I'm gonna have a go at sorting this next week.

Thanks for the help guys! 8)