Newbie ordering a 6C Gti - hopefully

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
martinp
New
Drives: GTI

Newbie ordering a 6C Gti - hopefully

Post by martinp »

Hi all,

Currently looking into ordering a new GTi. Been it VW's for ages, had 2 golf VR6's, a corrado VR6 and a polo tdi in between.

I have a BMW 525d at the mo, and as nice as it is, I use to have a cliosport 197 and miss having a car I can have some fun in.

Been trawling though this forum for a few days, watch numerous video reviews etc and the polo has ticked all the boxes. I've spent the last couple months considering other options but set on a polo now.

I'm most likely going to order a new GTi through Wow Car as they have some good (on the face of it) deals, and i've heard some reasonably good things about them.

3dr solid white with DSG I've been quoted £17,326

options i'm considering
-parking pack
-convenience pack ---Does anyone know if the convenience pack include folding mirrors??
-front centre arm rest
-4 year extended warranty
-sport performance kit (button)

Anyone have any opinion's on must have's and don't bother with options? Also what are peoples experiences with Wow Car, I've seen a couple of you on here have used them.

Cheers

Martin
shambawangy
New
Drives: Golf Mk6 1.4 TSI

Re: Newbie ordering a 6C Gti - hopefully

Post by shambawangy »

Many people saying the 'sports button' isn't useful especially when choosing a manual.

The main complaints being it makes the ride far too firm and the extra noise seems artificial
JohnPolo
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI

Post by JohnPolo »

shambawangy wrote:Many people saying the 'sports button' isn't useful especially when choosing a manual.

The main complaints being it makes the ride far too firm and the extra noise seems artificial

And there are many videos online and posted on here where people say the sports button is what turns it into a real GTI. I'm sure I won't be having it on all the time but I'm pleased to have the option.

http://www.polodriver.com/polo-2009/a-h ... more-18734
martinp
New

Post by martinp »

Yeah I've seen some conflicting reports on whether the sports button is worth the extra ££££.

Hopefully going for a test drive at the weekend so may be able to see for myself.
Steigerz
New
Drives: Polo GTi

Post by Steigerz »

Like I said the sports button does work. For the track having this option is great. But on the road and everyday use you will feel every little thing on the road.

It all comes down to personal preference. Me personally after testing both the Dsg and the manual with the sports button I'm not convinced. I control my car not a button :)
TheFrog
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Blue GT

Post by TheFrog »

Personally I would get the heated seats and the sunroof and ditch the DSG. I've had two and regretted my choice on both occasions.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

I would probably do the same. DSG is great fun, but when I had my edition 30, you just dont feel 'connected' to the car as youve got no real control over how it puts the power down or shifts gear.

Theres something nice about having a gearstick lol
Shark00n
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 6C

Post by Shark00n »

JohnPolo wrote:
shambawangy wrote:Many people saying the 'sports button' isn't useful especially when choosing a manual.

And there are many videos online and posted on here where people say the sports button is what turns it into a real GTI. I'm sure I won't be having it on all the time but I'm pleased to have the option.

http://www.polodriver.com/polo-2009/a-h ... more-18734
That review isnt very good. First they say its possibly the most powerful Polo ever; the Polo WRC was.

Second they are comparing the Sport button against itself. Stating its sportier compared to the normal mode. But of course it would be. Meanwhile there's no comparison to the benchmark (normal suspension Polo).

I live in Portugal and a really good stretch of twisty smooth tarmac is a rare sight. That, plus absolutely despizing sound actuators and fake steering feel, made me opt not to include the sports package.

If that's your thing then you'll like it. But bear in mind that the car is softer and rolls more than the stardard in normal mode, and is harder and bounces more in Sport mode.

The car without the sports package is not perfect but achieves a bloody good compromise between the 2.

Cars with DSG benefict further with the sports pack because they rev closer to the revline and downshift sooner.

I'm not against the sport package, I'm just saying its not that simple of a choice and it will dictate your car's behaviour and fun factor for the future.
TheFrog
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Blue GT

Post by TheFrog »

alexperkins wrote:I would probably do the same. DSG is great fun, but when I had my edition 30, you just dont feel 'connected' to the car as youve got no real control over how it puts the power down or shifts gear.

This, plus the fact that I simply don't think DSG gearboxes are that good. Yes, the shift is seamless, but it's always at the wrong moment :roll: Even if they were a no cost option, I wouldn't get one.
dunc85
New

Post by dunc85 »

I specced the Sport button in the hope that the comfort mode will be soft enough that I can go over speed bumps at more than 5mph.
dunc85
New

Post by dunc85 »

TheFrog wrote:
alexperkins wrote:I would probably do the same. DSG is great fun, but when I had my edition 30, you just dont feel 'connected' to the car as youve got no real control over how it puts the power down or shifts gear.

This, plus the fact that I simply don't think DSG gearboxes are that good. Yes, the shift is seamless, but it's always at the wrong moment :roll: Even if they were a no cost option, I wouldn't get one.

I've gone for DSG and I'd be interested to know the split between manual and DSG orders. Apparently in South Africa and Australia, DSG will make up about 90% of cars. Over here I think it might be the other way round.

To me, it seems to offer the best of both worlds - nice lazy auto for when I'm stuck in traffic and can't be bothered, and manual/tiptronic for the B roads.
I thought DSG in the Golf R was brilliant, although it's the 6 speed in that.
sudsonsundaze
New

Post by sudsonsundaze »

I am completely converted to DSG on fast cars. Also can't stand the thought of using a manual clutch in peak traffic anymore. DSG for me offers best of both worlds, but have to use your foot on the accelerator differently to a manual, like avoiding kick down.

Good fun to be had with steering wheel paddle shifts so you can control the gears and tell it what to do, super smooth and quick. I use them all the time, great for over taking and fast driving would never have a DSG without paddle shift. Don't use the S mode selector much though, it keeps the revs too high. I wish it was the 6DSG wet not the 7 dry, but then if it was it would be faster, so maybe why they are keeping it with the 7speed just now until competition dictates. Plus new GTI DSG exhaust sounds good.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Quote:- "Anyone have any opinion's on must have's and don't bother with options? Also what are peoples experiences with Wow Car, I've seen a couple of you on here have used them."

I've had figures from all the main brokers, but in the end, as I live up North and best prices were deep South, I picked a figure, added £300 "convenience money" and threw that price with my spec down in front of my local VW salesman - after a short time he worked out that if he met with my wants, he would have a sale, so we shook hands, very easy really.

If you are sorted with exactly what you want to buy, and are willing to be firm, then you should try that approach.

Where the brokers win hands down is where VW are offering business deals on certain models, and that is exactly what you want, brokers buy at business (fleet) price a few cars and sell on to private buyers, dealers should not be able to do that for you.
JohnPolo
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI

Post by JohnPolo »

It would be boring if we all liked the same thing, but comments like a manual stick is fun , not when you're stuck in traffic it's not. Left leg up and down like a nodding donkey.
I drove the manual version while waiting for mine to arrive and for me I can say I didn't step out of the car thinking 'oh my what have I done, should have picked the manual.'

I think Carwow was showing DSG as the most popular choice, now that did surprise me after all the fanfare about the choice of a manual and how most would want that.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

I fully agree manual is horrible when stuck in traffic. I personally would have a DSG at this point in time as I do a lot more driving for work than I used to