Hello from a Polo newbie

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Chr15tdi
New
Drives: 2010 1.6TDI SEL

Hello from a Polo newbie

Post by Chr15tdi »

Hi all,
We are now the proud owners of a Polo 1.6tdi SEL. In Nimbus Grey. Bought from our local dealer 2 weeks ago. Impressed by its build quality over a fiesta Zetec S tdci, we did look at first.

New to owning a polo, but we do have a T5 which I converted from a panel van to a camper, so its now nice to have another VW vehicle in our household.

It's not going to be fettled too much as I/we like the look of it as standard. However I wasn't overly impressed with the dealers cleaning of it when we picked it up, so the next day I set to it and gave it some cleaning and polish loving....

Wheels had been cleaned (apparently)?? :o I don't think so!!!!! :D so I took them all off and cleaned, polished, sealed and then finally waxed. Before then cleaning up and painting the calipers red.

That's better

Then on the weekend I treated car to a deep intense wash and decon, before adding a quick layer of protection before I get time to properly detail the car in the next week or two.

But here she is

blackertracker
Bronze Member
Drives: ..

Re: Hello from a Polo newbie

Post by blackertracker »

Nice.

What products did you use to seal and then wax the wheels please?
Chr15tdi
New

Post by Chr15tdi »

blackertracker wrote:Nice. What products did you use to seal and then wax the wheels please?
Hi, after the washing, de Taring, de iron & finally claying, I used up some old Meguiars polish I had, followed by PoorBoys wheel sealant (2 coats), then topped with a layer of Collinite 476s.
Brake dust........ What brake dust? :D :mrgreen:
daveb73
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 6R 5 Door

Post by daveb73 »

Nice car, lovely colour :)
JohnNW
Getting There!

Post by JohnNW »

I like the nimbus grey and those allows look like (or even better than) new! Great job.

Perhaps a chrome tailpipe trim might finish it off?
Chr15tdi
New

Post by Chr15tdi »

JohnNW wrote:I like the nimbus grey and those allows look like (or even better than) new! Great job. Perhaps a chrome tailpipe trim might finish it off?
Thanks for your comments, I was pleased with the outcome of the alloys, and well worth the 2hrs to do.
A new tailpipe is on the cards yes, :D am I correct in thinking this is the part number 8P0253825? I'm waiting until I get near my local TPS to get one.

My passenger DRL bulb blew on Monday so I have some new MTec Cosmos Blue bulbs to fit in tomorrow along with some new LED sidelight bulbs....
perarduapropatria
Getting There!
Drives: 2011 (61) Polo 1.6 TDI SEL

Post by perarduapropatria »

blackertracker wrote:Nice.

Can I chip in?

I've had great success with Poorboys Wheel Sealant. Do three or four coats of that bad boy and you can just hose the brake dust off.

I'm giving Gtechniq C5 a go, though.

I painted our calipers and hubs silver, mainly because I already had a tin of silver Hammerite open, but I did consider black or red. Not sure about red, but it certainly looks good on yours. Why didn't you do the hubs at the same time? :D

Maybe not so good on the school-run car. I've already been accused of making the thing look Maxx Power, simply by putting sill covers on to save the paint from the pram being dragged in and out. Also, some better nut covers.
Chr15tdi
New

Post by Chr15tdi »

perarduapropatria wrote:
blackertracker wrote:Nice.

Can I chip in?

I painted our calipers and hubs silver, mainly because I already had a tin of silver Hammerite open, but I did consider black or red. Not sure about red, but it certainly looks good on yours. Why didn't you do the hubs at the same time? :D

Maybe not so good on the school-run car. I've already been accused of making the thing look Maxx Power, simply by putting sill covers on to save the paint from the pram being dragged in and out. Also, some better nut covers.
Hiya bud, I did paint the hubs but in silver hammerite, not red as I thought red would be too much. You can just make it out in the caliper shot.

In my photo, the wheel bolt covers weren't put on at the time of the pic, but I do have all of them in place.
As for the sill covers, they are on the 'to do list' :D I'm looking at carbon effect ones as I think these will go nicely against the grey.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

There's a guy on eBay that cuts them out of 3M di-noc carbon vinyl :) I had them on mine
perarduapropatria
Getting There!

I'm going to do our other cars calipers in black. I might even put transfers on them.

Less is more, sometimes
Chr15tdi
New

Post by Chr15tdi »

alexperkins wrote:There's a guy on eBay that cuts them out of 3M di-noc carbon vinyl :) I had them on mine
Watching these at the mo.......
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1865504747

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1769960990

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1868467639
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Thats the guy :) Great quality, and not expensive

Just vital to ensure you clean the surfaces with Autoglym Tar remover or similar prior to application, and use a hairdryer to make sure the adhesive softens enough on application.
perarduapropatria
Getting There!

Chr15tdi wrote:
alexperkins wrote:There's a guy on eBay that cuts them out of 3M di-noc carbon vinyl :) I had them on mine
Watching these at the mo.......
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1865504747

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1769960990

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1868467639
Very smart. Maybe I went a bit OTT.

Get hold of some IPA - it's brilliant for making sure surfaces are good to adhere to as it removes any wax etc. Dilute 10:1 at least, depending on the strength it comes in.