Dash Cam

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Bigtam
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2016

Dash Cam

Post by Bigtam »

Anyone fitted one of these and if so how did you wire it up.
perarduapropatria
Getting There!
Drives: 2011 (61) Polo 1.6 TDI SEL

Re: Dash Cam

Post by perarduapropatria »

I fitted an ePrance 0803 front and rear to another car.

I used one of these that converts 12v to 5v into a USB socket, so you can run a long USB cable and hide it, which is fairly easy. There's an inline fuse in there too.

I don't know if there's a 12v socket hidden behind the glovebox in the Polo, as an option for 12v socket in the glovebox, but I plan on running one in this car - it looks like I'll either have to get power from the 12v in the console or from the fuse box. I did plan on using the interior lights, but I don't think that's ignition switched. Windscreen wiper fuse /heated rear screen is usually a safe bet.

Here's an example of the ePrance 0803 footage:

Daytime

Night time

Accident on M1 I stopped to attend. Lesson learnt = braking distance. Watch the Audi in the centre lane compared to me in the travelling lane.

It's worth getting a mini-HDMI cable (if that's the output of the camera) so you can plug it into a TV before you stick it to the windscreen. I'm a bit OCD and I wanted the image in the centre, and straight.

I'd be keen to know where the easiest ignition switched is front and rear, too.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Thinking of getting one of these myself, front and rear. I drive the M60 everyday and it's always been bad for people cutting you up but it's got worse since it was reduced to 50 as everyone is impatient. Just for peace of mind if someone does something stupid.
perarduapropatria
Getting There!
Drives: 2011 (61) Polo 1.6 TDI SEL

Post by perarduapropatria »

lancslad1985 wrote:Thinking of getting one of these myself, front and rear. I drive the M60 everyday and it's always been bad for people cutting you up but it's got worse since it was reduced to 50 as everyone is impatient. Just for peace of mind if someone does something stupid.
It's harder to firing the rest on a hatchback :(