What to expect?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
ThisIsBarcode
New
Drives: 6c

What to expect?

Post by ThisIsBarcode »

Hey all,

I ordered a new Polo GTi a few months back and its now on its way over. I did no test drive, purely trusting the pedigree of VW GTi's and having a good experience with my '92 Polo Coupe.

I presently own an Abarth 500, and for anyone who hasn't heard/driven one…they are a fairly unique car, with an incredible sound…the sound bit being the part that is giving me itchy feet about the GTi. I have swapped for the Polo to get 5-doors + the Abarth was getting high miles.

My question really is…how is the GTi's sound? It's hard to judge on the limited YouTube videos. I don't want a car that is obnoxiously loud, but the tone of the 500 when you put your foot down is pretty f**king sweet :D and I'd like to hope that the GTi is similar…or that folk already have a few cheeky tips/mods to improve the sound. :?:

Cheers

Josh
Amig
New
Drives: 2014 6R R-line GTD 2.0

Re: What to expect?

Post by Amig »

I have not heard the new GTI yet, but i think taking into consideration it's a 1.8 litre turbocharged engine it will sound a bit like the older Golf GTI and Audi TT etc.

Good sound with a resonated exhaust, all the way open will definatly be loud. My TT few years back had a Testpipe and only just a Borla free flow muffler at the end and i got sick of the "drone" inside the car.

Still sound is pretty personal, and lots of directions to take when getting an exhaust or having one made.

Good luck!
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

The new gti sounds nothing like the 1.8 20v.

It's got a little sporty note when pushing on. I tend to drown out the artificial sound produced with the stereo.
ThisIsBarcode
New
Drives: 6c

Post by ThisIsBarcode »

Thanks guys. Good to hear differing views.

I'm not one to tinker with cars that much…however I did put the BMC filter in my Abarth and the sound was definitely a little throatier. Keen to hear what it sounds like though…may have to go down the dealership tomorrow and see if there is one to test drive.