New
Drives: 6 n 4.2 V8

Newbie from NZ 6N V8

Post by LeeM »

Greetings from New Zealand..

Yes we have Polo's out here as well

I have a Black 3 door 6n which has a number of engine transplants

Maybe someone may be interested

Started as a standard 1600 manual but the car was much more capable of more power so the first swap was a 1.8t with 02j box ..Link aftermarket computer...114 KW at the wheels

Went well but this was a very common conversion and I started looking for the next stage...looked at VR6's in there various guises...but never been a fan.

Inquired into the ABZ audi V8 which is basily 2 16v vw motors stuck together...Because of the gearing in such a light car I adapted a VR6 manual box to the V8 driving the front wheels.

Again I ran it on a link computer and weighed everything before I added to the front weight. Naturally the Battery and Brake booster went in the boot..

This was a very successful swap as it gave about 180kw at the wheels and absolutely amazing torque and so easy to drive....

But I was seduced but 5 valves per cylinder and ended up installing a BFM V8 which was really pushing the limits of space in the from of a Polo...

So I can talk you out of doing it with this engine...

However I chanced on a 2006 Audi S4 chain drive engine which I installed using a megasquirt computer

This engine is perfect for the Polo as it is much smaller and lighter than the previous engines

Total weight is about 1050-1100kg with about 65% weight on the front wheels ....currently about 400hp

Just playing with Itb's at the moment ....sound incredible..

Should say that it is a daily road car ....

Anyone interested in doing a swap I can say it is very doable but I did make lots of mistakes along the way

Here's a link to our local NZ VW forum http://www.vask.org.nz/index.php/topic,14090.0.html

Cheers
Last edited by LeeM on Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Newbie from NZ

Post by alexperkins »

Welcome to UKpolos

Thats a very interesting history your polo has had

Any pics of the various transplants?
LeeM
New

Post by LeeM »

The link to VASK is at the bottom

I just read it through myself and I had forgotten my attempt to supercharge the BFM motor

Good concept but the blower was heavy and add all the other stuff involved with the laminova intercooler cores --just added weight and complexity

Cheers
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Just read through the entire thread Lee - brilliant effort!

Be interested to see where it goes from here
LeeM
New

Post by LeeM »

Thanks for that----Most people don't believe it possible especially front wheel drive..

There is a guy here in nz who is doing a ABZ v8 into a 4 door 6N but mid engined .....that is a lot of work