Two Cars - One weekend - the new Polo Blue GT arrives.

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Norbreck21a
Silver Member

Two Cars - One weekend - the new Polo Blue GT arrives.

Post by Norbreck21a »

**Warning – Image heavy

Well had a marathon weekend. Collected the wife and my new cars on Saturday and spent the rest of the weekend and most of Monday detailing them. The wife got a new Blue GT (to replace her.....er... Blue GT) and I got a Golf GTD (to replace my err.....Golf GTD :D )

We asked the dealer not to touch them aside from removing the transportation sheets, which to be fair they did. The paint work was a rough as sandpaper on both cars, so I was really glad it was me that was touching the paintwork first.
The process was the same on both cars, so:

• Power wash
• Snow foam with AF foam
• Rinse
• Hand wash (two buckets) with Megs Shampoo and my Wo-Wo lamb’s wool mit.
• Rinse
• Clay using Megs last touch as a lubricant
• Rinse
• De-Tar with AS Tardis
• Rinse
• Sprayed with Iron-X to remove bonded fall out (from the wheels there were loads).
• Rinse and quick wash again, with a final rinse.
• Car then dried with my two extra-large microfiber drying towels (patted dry)
• Used my Metro Sidekick to blast off the remaining water in the harder to reach areas.
• The above left the paint work super smooth.
• Cars then taped up and machine corrected with Dodo Juice Lime prime on an Orange Dodo Juice Fin Cut pad. This got 99% of the minor marring out.
• Then 2 coats of Gtechniq C2 V3 and 2 final top coats of Dodo Juice Purple Haze pro.
• Wheels taken off and sealed with Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour
• Windows gone with Autoglym Fast Glass, and black trim dressed with Aerospace 303 protectant.
• Tyres dressed with Mega tyre gel.

Phew, now the afters…….

Polo Blue GT

As you can see I've already added chromed exhaust tips, door sill trims, special carpet mats, foot well lighting, the missing Engine cover and removed the "Bluemotion" badge from the boot lid. However went to fit the Chrome pedals from the old 6R Blue GT and the accelerator doesn't fit (the old one was rectangular but the new one is slightly curved on the 6C). Have they changed ?

Now she has adaptive cruise control as well on the Polo (as she loves it on my Golf).

Anyway, images.....

Options include- convenience pack (Auto lights, auto wipers and folding mirrors), DSG, Winter Pack, Climate Control, Adaptive Cruise Control, Navigation, Front Parking Sensors, Side Airbags, Passenger air bag deactivation switch, Xenon Headlights with LED DRL’s.

My Golf GTD - hope you don't mind.

Options include - DSG, Parking pack (Auto Park, Rear view camera) , Tech Pack (Nav Pro and Dynaudio), Heated Windscreen, Advanced Phone Prep, 19" Santiago alloys, Sport and Sound pack

Hope you like.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Two Cars - One weekend - the new Polo Blue GT arrives.

Post by SRGTD »

They look superb Norbreck21a, and just how the dealer should prepare them, although sadly, most dealers don't.

Did the Polo come with the chrome exhaust tips or did you buy them separately and fit them?
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Nice car
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

Don't get me wrong, the effort you put into preparing the two cars is admirable and they look superb. I did none of that, picked up the BGT from the dealer and just got on with driving it, it looked pretty good then and continues to do so after eighteen months.

My genuine non smart arse question is whether in eighteen months time will your car look any different to mine, if it does will it really be noticeable to the average bloke in the street. Should I have paid an expert to carry out such detailed preparation, health issues would prevent me from doing it myself.

I emphasise that I find your knowledge and application very impressive, not to mention your energy levels and this is not an attempted put down.
Last edited by Ricmondo on Tue May 17, 2016 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Norbreck21a
Silver Member

Post by Norbreck21a »

Not a problem Ricmondo. I enjoy detailing and for the last 10 years or so, all of our cars irrespective of age look like they had just walked out of a showroom - it's just how I like to keep them - I'm a bit OCD that way :D

SRGTD, no the exhaust tips aren't standard but were purchased on line in. Advance of the car coming.
Ricmondo
Gold Member

Post by Ricmondo »

I must admit I used to be a bit obsessive when cars were simpler and I was a lot younger. I gave my local chrome plater enough money to keep his business well afloat and spent a fortune on buffing mops. Every cable or pipe run had to be parallel, neat and secure and I bought stainless nuts by the bucket load. Body prep was restricted to a tin of bluebell and a ton of wax, cellulose paint might not have been very eco friendly but it was tough and easy to improve.

I noticed that one of my old cars was recently on the concours circuit and scooped multiple Simonize Awards. None of my tastefull, well I though so, chrome and polish survived, the owner must have spent a fortune bringing it back to factory fresh condition, if the truth is known they were never that good when the left the production line though!

Funny old world isn't it.

If I spot a BGT just like mine but shining like a jewel I'll give you better half a wave, hope it's her otherwise I might get mistaken for yet another pervy pensioner.

Senior moment alert..that's Autoglym not Simonize...must polish up my act! I'm a Mer man myself, easy and long lasting.
Last edited by Ricmondo on Tue May 17, 2016 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ciank91
New

Post by ciank91 »

Can I ask where you got the engine cover? I've just picked up my BGT great car!!

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk
Pearls
New
Drives: Polo GTI 1.8TSI

Post by Pearls »

Beautiful work! You've got a pair of lovely cars there. I hope you enjoy them. Wow, I want a machine polisher now, I can get fairly good results by hand that amaze the neighbours but that is a cut above what I can do. I tend to use Autoglym Super Resin polish and Autoglym Extra Gloss Sealant. My dealership left loads of swirls in the paint that I need to get out when I get a machine and some clay. Next time I have a new car I'm going to do as you've done and tell them to leave my car to me to clean. If you don't mind me asking, what machine polisher do you use?
Norbreck21a
Silver Member

Post by Norbreck21a »

Thanks all, much appreciated, and the main thing is the wife is totally over the moon with it (many brownie points earned :D )

A couple of quick questions if I may.

Firstly, on her older 6R Blue GT, we fitted a set of genuine VW aluminum pedals (from a GTI I think). I removed them before the car went back and was planning to use them on the new 6C Blue GT, but it looks like the accelerator pedal is a different shape to the 6R (slightly curvy rather than a straight rectangle), and to be honest, looks like the pedal in my MK7 Golf GTD. Can anyone confirm if these have changed please and what the part number is for the new parts (and where to get them please) ?

Secondly, I tried to activate the alarm beep on locking / unlocking using VCDS as she liked this feature on her 6R, but couldn't find the adaptation channels on the 6C. Anyone know if this is still possible and what the location / coding is please ?

I tried the needle staging (no needle celebration mode as last time), and unfortunately it doesn't seem possible on her cluster :cry:

Any other good 6C VCDS codes knocking about ?
peter_dk25
Silver Member
Drives: Blue GT

Post by peter_dk25 »

The pedals for the 6C are the same as for the Golf 7:
http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en/sh ... set-for-3/
They will fit

Needle Sweep:
http://www.vagcars.dk/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... 8#p1007718
I know it is in Danish, but scroll Down and you will find it
blackertracker
Bronze Member
Drives: ..

Post by blackertracker »

Sport button on a BlueGT? How? Is this not a UK spec car or is it now standard?
Norbreck21a
Silver Member

Post by Norbreck21a »

Haha.... I wondered who would be the first to spot that - well done sir :lol:

Basically the wife has a bit of OCD and didn't like having one spare blank plate in the dash (I know, I know... before you say it :D ), so I ordered her a sport switch from a GTI just to plug the gap. Was only £11 on German ebay.

I must admit, it does finish the dash off but is totally function-less (unless I can figure out a way to use it as our Garage door opener button ?
Norbreck21a
Silver Member

Post by Norbreck21a »

peter_dk25 wrote:The pedals for the 6C are the same as for the Golf 7:
http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en/sh ... set-for-3/
They will fit

Needle Sweep:
http://www.vagcars.dk/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... 8#p1007718
I know it is in Danish, but scroll Down and you will find it
Thanks bud, I'll give that a good read.
Wolfi
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI

Post by Wolfi »

Both cars look absolutely great... I like your OCD style! Is there much of a difference in performance between a Blue GT and Golf GTD?

p.s love the red GTD badges, do VW put them on as standard now?
blackertracker
Bronze Member
Drives: ..

Post by blackertracker »

Norbreck21a wrote:Haha.... I wondered who would be the first to spot that - well done sir :lol:

Basically the wife has a bit of OCD and didn't like having one spare blank plate in the dash (I know, I know... before you say it :D ), so I ordered her a sport switch from a GTI just to plug the gap. Was only £11 on German ebay.

I must admit, it does finish the dash off but is totally function-less (unless I can figure out a way to use it as our Garage door opener button ?
Ha ha, you had me going there, I was like WTF?! Nice touch, it looks good!