Manual vs DSG torque availability?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Trantor
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Manual vs DSG torque availability?

Post by Trantor »

Hello everyone. New to the forum, having ordered but yet to collect a new GTI.

Apologies if this topic has been covered elsewhere but I've raised it after being prompted by a comment made in the VW Configurator when selecting the Sport Performance Kit option. I'm aware of the torque reduction of the DSG compared with the manual (185lbs/ft vs. 236) but the comment I refer too states "For DSG derivatives, the 'Sport' setting allows the car to reach maximum torque levels for a sportier drive". This is an exact quote taken from the Configurator a few seconds ago.

Can any one comment on this? Reading it suggests that DSG owners have 236lbs/ft available to them while the Sport button is on.

One other question - If you have the Sport button option and a DSG, what is the effect (i) when you select "S" via the gear leaver with Sport button off and (ii) when you select "S" via the gear leaver with Sport button on? I currently have an Audi with an S-Tronic gearbox and when selecting "S" the throttle livens up and the steering weight increases. I just want to know if the benefits of the Sport button option is diminished somewhat when you have a DSG gearbox as opposed to a manual.

Many thanks for your responses.
Scott Bounce
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 6C GTi

Re: Manual vs DSG torque availability?

Post by Scott Bounce »

I'm pretty sure the Sport button just shifts where the maximum torque is in the rev range pretty much, or at least that was my believing when I was ordering my Polo. The DSG in standard form doesn't reach the 236ft/lbs of the manual by any means.
JoeMarano
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo Gti 6C

Post by JoeMarano »

I was under the impression the sports mode only increases the sharpness and throttle response that and the weightier steering, louder engine noise and dampers stiffening up of course.
C_Randell_23
Getting There!
Drives: 6C GTI Black 3dr Manual with toys

Post by C_Randell_23 »

Basically the sport mode makes the car hold on to the gear longer/ shift higher up rev range /higher up the torque curve allowing the car to "reach maximum torque levels"
fivelittlefish
New
Drives: 2016 GTI

Post by fivelittlefish »

Trantor wrote: I'm aware of the torque reduction of the DSG compared with the manual (185lbs/ft vs. 236) but the comment I refer too states "For DSG derivatives, the 'Sport' setting allows the car to reach maximum torque levels for a sportier drive". This is an exact quote taken from the Configurator a few seconds ago.

Yes, and in the case of a DSG box, the "maximum torque level" is 185lbs /ft
Trantor
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Trantor »

My assumption as well. It implies the car won't produce 185 unless you press the sport button! I've read/seen nothing to suggest the car would not produce 185 regardless of what mode the car is in i.e. 185 in all cases. So why make that statement? Seems pointless to me.
Jordan6C
New
Drives: Polo GTI, Lotus Exige

Post by Jordan6C »

Is the car still in fully auto whilst in Sport mode? You have to move it across to manual in order to be in full control by using the paddle shifters?
MczZippy
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 6C - Flash Red

Post by MczZippy »

my understanding of the "sport" button is that is does a number of things:-

weights up the steering
makes the dampers "harder"
improves accelerator response
activates the noise actuator
AND
puts the DSG into Sport mode, making it hold the gear longer to enable you to use the full amount of torque produced by the engine.(as the dsg is set to "economy" mode to increase mpg when in D, so will change into the highest gear possible without stalling)

^^^^^^
this is the same as putting the shifter into S (but saves you the hassle) :)