Mirror link

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
mr messy
New

Mirror link

Post by mr messy »

Hi i got a new polo blue Gt with most of the toys i wanted from the factory. How ever has any one added mirror link to the radio. As well as voice controle

Thanks for any help
JaegerStriker
Bronze Member
Drives: 6C GTI

Re: Mirror link

Post by JaegerStriker »

you need to go to vw for the usb thing to activate mirrorlink. im in the same position its not insatalled in my polo SEL but its £170ish last time i checked so i didnt get it installed
JGriff
New
Drives: Polo GTi 6C (2016)

Post by JGriff »

Yes I have both, voice control is really useful, mirrorlink is nice to have, to make mirrorlink really fulfil its potential, you also need a 4G wireless hub. Got mine from Vodafone £50 to buy and £20 a month, unlimited data

Assuming your media is capable (I bought a new 2016 SEL for my father in law specifically to install both- and couldn't have either installed as the media unit wasn't compatible-despite checking before purchase with VW UK technical) it'll cost you about £550 to £600 for both installed, including the dreaded VAT.

I keep finding things I wasn't expecting, once you have the data link, it will read your emails to you, and displays photos of your contacts, assuming you have contact photos in your phone.
mr messy
New

Post by mr messy »

How do you find out if my headunit is compatible?
Thb i wish i would have had them fitted when i ordered the car now but ho hum.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

mr messy wrote:How do you find out if my headunit is compatible?
Thb i wish i would have had them fitted when i ordered the car now but ho hum.
Have a read through this;

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=67691&hilit=App+connect
Gadgetman
New
Drives: SE

Post by Gadgetman »

Just picked up a 64 plate SE today.

Does Google maps work with Mirrorlink? As that'd be my only interest for getting it given the steep cost.

Phone is Moto Z play running Nougat 7.0
JohnNW
Getting There!

Post by JohnNW »

Gadgetman wrote:Just picked up a 64 plate SE today.

Does Google maps work with Mirrorlink? As that'd be my only interest for getting it given the steep cost.

Think it depends on the version of Mirrorlink installed and phone - early versions of Mirrorlink seemed problematic.
Also worth noting that if you are travelling in an area with low (or no) mobile signal you lose the maps. This can partially be overcome by downloading the relevant maps to your phone before leaving.
Gadgetman
New

Post by Gadgetman »

JohnNW wrote:
Gadgetman wrote:Just picked up a 64 plate SE today.

Think it depends on the version of Mirrorlink installed and phone - early versions of Mirrorlink seemed problematic.
Also worth noting that if you are travelling in an area with low (or no) mobile signal you lose the maps. This can partially be overcome by downloading the relevant maps to your phone before leaving.
Thanks. Already have maps downloaded.

Is there a way to know which version will work and which wouldn't?

Don't fancy forking out £180 to find it doesn't work on maps.
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

It also depends on the phone. I'm pretty sure that no Motorola phone has MirrorLink. Frustratingly the system can't be upgraded to have App-Connect, which includes CarPlay and Android Auto, which is much better, and Android Auto is compatible with any Android phone running 5.0 and up. Google Maps is also not compatible with MirrorLink.

However, you can use the Android Auto app without having to plug the phone in, and just use a holder instead. This gives you the simplified screen layout and big, easy to use buttons so it's easier to use as a satnav. Also, you can enable the 'OK Google' setting so it will listen to you using voice control. It's not ideal but probably the best alternative.
Gadgetman
New

Post by Gadgetman »

Thanks.

Looks like I'll save my £180.