Rear door seals collects water !

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Zeno
New
Drives: 2004 Polo Twist 1.2 12v manual 73k

Rear door seals collects water !

Post by Zeno »

After rain, water collects on top of the door seal at the bottom of the door. When the door is opened the water falls out. No damp carpets or excessive condensation on cold mornings. Happens on both rear doors, but one is worse than the other. Have adjusted the striker plates in to the maximum, there is no tear or split in the seals. I have applied silicone grease to all the rubber seals.
Any ideas :?:
littlepolo
Gold Member

Re: Rear door seals collects water !

Post by littlepolo »

How long have you had the vehicle and how long have you had the problem?

Is it possible that seals on top of the door are not working and water us draining down inside?
Zeno
New

Post by Zeno »

Had the vehicle and the problem for 2 months.
I suspect your thoughts on the cause must be the case.
After it rained for about one hour I went out with a torch and look for beads of water. About two weeks ago drips were appearing at the inside top falling on the plastic trim and running towards the door bottom seal. Striking plate adjusted as there was about 5mm of door movement after it engaged with the lock. Water then stopped dripping from the top, but is still collecting inside at the bottom.
I need it to rain again and go out with the torch, but not until after I have renewed the rear door lock as that door is now failing to unlock :roll:
Lock now removed and door held shut with a bungy :(
Zeno
New

Post by Zeno »

Leak cause found. The door rubber seal, just above the door lock, was not attached to the door for about 2cm. Water was running on the outside of the seal from the top of the door and then crossing under the seal and collecting on top of the seal at the base of the door.
Door seal attached to the door using superglue. No more water collecting inside the car.
Looks like it as been like that from new as the seal and the door surface respectively show no signs of splitting or glue residue. :D
Door lock from scrap yard is performing. :D