Quick question about oil service

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
wayne10244
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI +

Quick question about oil service

Post by wayne10244 »

Hello my car is coming up for its first service on the 1 of May but the oil serive reminder is telling me it’s due well before that ? In 19 days time ? Does the dealer set the service intervals before you take delivery of the car or was this set from the factory as there’s a big difference between the times it’s due
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Quick question about oil service

Post by iichel »

I suspect you're on a flexible interval. This means your car will determine itself when the service is due, based on mileage, oil temperatures etc.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I think that the ‘service due’ countdown starts when the car is built and the dealer should reset this when the perform the PDI. There’s always a chance that the dealer didn’t do the reset. What service regime is your car set to - time and distance or long life / flexible?

As iichel had said, if you’re on long life / flexible servicing, then the car will determine when the service is due, based on a number of factors that are monitored, such as oil condition. Cars on the long life / flexible service regime can In theory go up to 18,000 miles or two years between services, depending on driving conditions that the car is subjected to.

If you’re on time and distance servicing (the sooner of 10,000 miles or 12 months), then the ‘service due’ warning appears at (I think) around 30 days / 1,000 miles before the service is due. On the time and distance service regime, the mileage criteria for servicing is actually calculated by the car’s computer in kilometres travelled since last service and then converted to miles. Service intervals in countries that measure distance in km’s is 15,000 kilometres, converted to miles = 9,320 miles. So if the car thinks you’ll hit the mileage limit before 12 months, it’ll start displaying the ‘service due’ message around (I think) 1,000 miles before you reach 9,320 miles. That could explain why the message has appeared sooner than you expected it to.
wayne10244
Getting There!

Post by wayne10244 »

The car has done 7469 miles so it’s the first year. I know with my old car that was a Vauxhall it work by % of oil life even if you did not drive the car it would still count down from 100%. Plus I contacted my dealer to book the car in for it’s first service for the 1 of May but it’s not looking likely it’s going to happen they got it on there system that I requested a service so if it goes over the time limit I should be still covered if anything goes wrong with the car
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

Mines doing the same thing, it's not due it's first service until June, I'm just ignoring it!

Edit - Forgot to say the date the car thinks it's service is due does correspond with the date I got the car built\left the factory notification from VW.
Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Post by Nora »

I managed to contact a service tech (working from home) who was manning the phone my local dealer, he tells me VW have given a 180 day grace period after the service date is due so it doesn’t invalidate the warranty, he informed me that the dealer is starting to schedule routine service appointments starting Tuesday 26th May. So I’ve booked mine in on the 1st available appointment on the 26th, if the Covid situation changes the appointment may get pushed back but at least I have an appointment
Last edited by Nora on Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wayne10244
Getting There!

Post by wayne10244 »

Have not received any more update from my dealer so just wait and see if I had the oil and filters I would do it myself but I had a free two year service plan when I brought the car