anyone using this forum?

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
steve_1990clmk2
New

anyone using this forum?

Post by steve_1990clmk2 »

Since nobody is really talking in here i might as well tell you what i have been up to this weekend. Recieved a nice big parcel from gsf on saturday :D .My car has been handling like a bag of turd for a month now :( . put it down to bumpy roads and driving around roundabouts too fast. on closer inspection of the suspension, both rear shocks were leaking, both front ones had leaked and dried out and somehow still worked,passenger side track rod end was worn, bottom ball joints were worn and all rubbers had perished and the anti roll bar bushes had turned to jelly.Just spent the whole weekend fitting everything.Turns out by the state of everything nothing had been touched since the day it rolled out of the factory. Thank god someone invented wd40. The car handles like a dream now, just developed a load of creaks from the dashboard now due to stiffer suspension. Just need a new paint job now and the car will be mint.
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Glad to know someone else is around in the world of mk2's.. we seem to be a dying breed :( Nice to hear you've got all you handling issues sorted.. I think I need a new front shock absorber, and I'm pretty sure most of the various bushes have deteriorated. Don't know if I trust myself to replace them though..

Personally I've just been doing a bit of cosmetic surgery.. my smoked indicator lenses arrived today so they went on this morning, I've just resprayed the tailgate badges black to get rid of the slightly ropey chrome that was there before, and I've added a pair of uk-polos.net window stickers :)

Before and after:

And the stickers:

I think that's a good day's tinkering :) Now I just need to sand and respray a panel where I've got superglue all over the place, and I'll be happy.
mk2keel
Bronze Member

Post by mk2keel »

well...
Incase no-one on here knows, i have a mk2 coupe S 1988.
80K miles on original engine and gearbox
Came to me with a few bits of rust on doors and front wings and many dents
Now she is off the road (and will be for a few years on and off)
I have major plans for her including:
Derusting (DER) and smoothing (smoothed badges over and will de-lock the boot)
Change door handles for pull style Mk3 golf ones
Home made debadged twin light grille
DTM style wing mirrors
RS front and rear Bumper
Total respray in gloss black
Black and silver Coupe S seats, vinyl doorcards and black carpet
Arches and underbody repainted with underseal (5 litres :roll: )
Take off side repeaters
Probably 14" wheels with 60mm drop
Probably BBS g40 or goldwire wheels.
Chrome rocker cover
Chrome bonnet lifters
Chrome door and boot lock
Straight back zorst
Either aftermarket or G40 zorst manifold
Maybe G40 interior (contact me if anyones got one going)
Beesting arial
Stealth shelf
Leccy windows
Mk1 golf brakes conversion (inc remote servo)
and hopefully one day TWIN WEBERS :D

Well thats about it. Most of this work i am undertaking myself its well worth doing. The only bit i probably wont be doing is the final coat of the respray (will do the first layer though) and welsing in new sills (cos i aint got a welder)
What do people here think about my plans?

p.s Carrot have you painted your zorst manifold?... if so what with?
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Blimey, sounds like you're getting it well sorted :D

The exhaust manifold is painted with high temp red spray, I can find the manufacturer for you if you'd like. It's the same stuff I painted the head with at the same time. If you're asking because you're finding that normal paint on laquer just burns off, spray's well worth a shot because it only leaves a very thin layer of paint which doesn't burn so easily.

Can I just ask where you're getting your remote servo from? My brakes scare me when I've got a few friends in the car, I wouldn't mind a bit of help with stopping :)
mk2keel
Bronze Member

Post by mk2keel »

servo will probably just be from a scrappy, out of a mk1 golf GTI.

apparently its well worth the upgrade

yeah if you can find out the manufacturer of the paint that would be great.

Cheers
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Ok, I've thrown that can away but I'll go to the accessory shop tomorrow and find out what it is for you. If it helps, I can buy you a can and send it to you, if you can't find it closer to home.
mk2keel
Bronze Member

Post by mk2keel »

well if you find out the name i will go have a look and let you know, cheers for the offer.
steve_1990clmk2
New

changing bushes and shockers

Groovy. I got ATS to check everything out for free suspension wise.they also check brakes too. and . If you dont have the tools to change the shocks get a garage to do it. saves hours of hassle prising the rust off :evil: . With the bushes i just replaced both track control arms and the anti roll bar bushes. It basically is all joined together and comes off really easily. Only took me 2 hours to do it all in the rain.Basically get the car on axle stands. drop the anti roll bar,undo it from the track control arms,undo the bottom ball joint bolt then the bolt on the other end then proceed in reverse. When putting the anti roll bar back on use a jack to push it up a little and get it into the front mountings. May need to take it to a garage and check the trackings ok, but i did that as soon as i put the track rod end on anyway. garage is only like 300 yards down the road.
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Ah, that sounds easy enough. I'm just somewhat paranoid about getting into things that I can't handle now, having had all that hassle with rebuilding my engine.. might give this a go at some point then, because the bushes look knackered, doubt they've been done since the thing was built 18 years ago :?
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

mmm yeah steve have a mull over it and be deadly honest about whether it was actually hard and what problems you ran into..... could have done with that sort of thing with the brake shoes (not one of yours i know) ;)
steve_1990clmk2
New

luckily i didnt run into any problems. Iwas scared of the anti roll bar bolts snapping. I had spare nuts and bolts waiting just in case and knew of a local scrappy that had a ARB. Groovy, if you do attempt it be well sure you can do it. An anti roll bar put back wrong can cause tracking/castor/camber problems. Tahrey, anything to do with brakes goes straight to the garage, especially with bicycle brake polos. When i can be bothered gonna get a better brake system. Where i live there is loads of hills with cars always parked on my side of the road. Sometimes i have to go down them shouting out of the window at people to shift. Definately need vented discs. mmmm. that makes it sound like my brakes are naffed. That only occurs when im following old codgers down a 3 mile long hill with their foot firm on the brake pedal with their nice servos and vented discs :evil: .
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Mm.. vented discs will certainly be my next major mechanical mod, I'm terrified of doing any kind of speed with passengers in the car now, nearly went into the back of a parked van a few months ago because I was doing 60 down a hill with 3 passengers and just couldn't stop... ended up stopping less than a metre from the back of the van, shook me up a bit :? Problem is, my scrappy never seems to have a nice mk1 golf gti to nick brake bits off...
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Nearly forgot, the manufacturer of the high temp paint I used was Sperex, and this may or may not be of use to you: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 62330&rd=1

Dunno if it's the right type, it's just a mk1 golf servo. Can't say I have a clue how servos work to be honest.. is one remote servo pretty much the same as another, or do they tend to be manufacturer specific?
steve_1990clmk2
New

trying to find mk1 golfs round here is like rocking horse poop. wish u luck finding a servo
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Mm, ditto here, that's why I was quite interested in that one on ebay.. don't know if it's the right one though :?