mk 2 polo ranger

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
SENDOG
New

mk 2 polo ranger

Post by SENDOG »

hey everyone i have just got a mk2 polo ranger and i have hurd it is limeted edish has anyone else hurd of these and what stuff can i do to it??
polo2k (ash) said i could get one kit for it but im not sure weather i should keep it stock?? appart from the stereo and the stainless steel exorst it is stock :oops:
mk2keel
Bronze Member

Post by mk2keel »

hi there

I have a mk2 coupe S, see the post labelled "anyone using this forum?" for my plans.
Thats the sort of thing you can do to it. There are bodykits on:
www.ra-design.co.uk
or
www.tuning.co.uk/rieger

and there are loads of options available for modifying your ranger.

if you have any questions PM me or reply here
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Rangers were a special edition, but there are a fair few around. They're basically the hatchback version of the Coupe S, so top of the range as far as mk2 hatchbacks go. You can do as much to them as you can any other mk2 really.. there are kits available for them.. personally I prefer to do smaller, more subtle mods than a full body kit, but if that's the kind of thing you like, go for it. Plenty more you can do though, what sort of thing are you thinking of? Mainly cosmetic or mechanical mods?
To give you a start, since I've had mine (1986 Polo C hatch) I've done the following:

Half colour coded rear bumper
Red piping in front / rear bumpers
Front fogs
Tinted front indicator lenses
Colour coded wing mirrors
Twin lamp + red striped grille
Stripped engine, cleaned, replaced gaskets etc (was going to do piston rings and bearings but that went horribly wrong..), cleaned / painted engine bay, painted cylinder head + rocker cover.
Fitted 5 speed gearbox
Installed rev counter, changed dial faces to round white dials, changed back light to red
Fitted mk2 golf GTi front seats
Black badges front + rear
Coupe S steering wheel (although may revert to Mk1/2 Golf GTi wheel..)

Mods to happen at some point soon:
Central locking
Electric windows (just found a passat in my scrappy that looks like a potential donor :) )
Uprated brakes, maybe a servo if I can lay my hands on one
Bit of interior work, new seat covers, carpets, paintwork etc.
Possibly a mk3 dashboard conversion.

Hardly any of these mods cost me more than a tenner, but they've transformed the way the car looks and drives.. here are a few before and after shots to show the difference:

Front
Rear
Interior
Engine bay
toXXin

Post by toXXin »

The Range was a special edition, but it outsold all the other MK2 Polo models.

I had one 2 years ago and it was a blast...that was until it took a disliking to me buying an Ibiza, and wanted to kill me!