Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Re: Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Post by MikeDO »

Aidey wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:17 pm Haha its standard on the new model i think, Its driving me mad now , again i have been out on a short trip just a few miles and counted 10 times the ping went off, I did have a Mk8 R and i got rid of that because i hated the interior and its constant faults, I think the polo may follow soon
Problems with "travel assist" are endemic on VW's in general (a lot of VAG cars actually). I have a thread on this very forum about the issues I had. The usual solution is to replace the steering wheel. Sadly it took several months to get me a replacement. Though at least this appears to have sorted my issue/s (for now!). Though still stuck with those HORRIBLE haptic controls on the steering wheel!

PS. I'm assuming this is what you are having issues with:
viewtopic.php?t=78080
Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Post by Nora »

One feature that I didn’t expect was the addition of the satnav/NAV feature, with maps displayed in both in the centre console and central dash. As I didn’t spec it when I ordered the car. Disappointingly not having a CD player in the glovebox was a surprise, and I’m still trying to get my head around the media feature to enable me to play tracks from an SD card. The lane assist is something I didn’t want as I’d had it on a loan car and hated it. So it looks like I will have to find out how to disable it
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Nora wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:55 pm The lane assist is something I didn’t want as I’d had it on a loan car and hated it. So it looks like I will have to find out how to disable it
My post (4th one down) in the discussion thread at the link below tells you how to. Needs to be done on each ignition cycle but it literally takes just a few seconds so should soon become second nature to do it when starting the engine.

https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?t=78940
Maarten
Silver Member
Drives: AW R-line Facelift MY2022 Vibrant Violet

Post by Maarten »

Also codable with ie. VCDS.
Remember last setting of Lane Assist
Nora
Bronze Member

Post by Nora »

Has anyone had an issue with CarPlay when connecting a phone via the usb cable? As I plugged it in and selected CarPlay to activate the tomtom onto the centre screen and it kept repeatedly connecting and disconnecting, unable to establish a stable connection. It was working fine until recently but today it was not connecting the device, I have tried different cables and different ports
Petercoll
New
Drives: GTi

Post by Petercoll »

Yes, getting exactly the same.
It seems to work better if I plug the phone in before I do anything else, like turn the ignition on.

Pete
es_paradis
New
Drives: 2023 GTI Pure White

Post by es_paradis »

Wondering how happy you are with the build quality of your GTIs.

Just dropped my car to the garage - I've had a humming noise coming from the rear end when the car would exceed 50 MPH. VW technician said that it was due to a faulty wheel bearing - on 8000 miles?

The car also has several squeaks and rattles inside - the handbrake button rattles sometimes and the sound actuator buzzes and rattles the dashboard.

My friend has a 40k mile Spanish-built 1.0 TSI beats edition and it feels a bit better finished than my SA built GTI.

VW builds GTIs exclusively in South Africa, probably to capitalise on lower labour costs than in Europe - some things in the car are impressive (the leather on the steering wheel looks as if it came from an Audi) but at places it feels to be built to a price.
Does anyone here have the same experience?
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I had my gti for 12500 miles in one year and didn’t have a complaint. No rattles or squeaks, just an infotainment that occasionally decided to reboot itself. My wife has an r line that’s 18 months old and had a United for two year before that. No issues with either.

I think what people forget is it’s a polo and a city car. For the size/class of car it’s fine and was better than the seat Ibiza we looked at despite being the same car. I also found the quality better than the fiesta, corsa, etc. Having had VWs up and down the range you get more quality the more you pay, so the golf is nicer still and the Tiguan was very well made but expensive.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

es_paradis wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:56 am Wondering how happy you are with the build quality of your GTIs.

Just dropped my car to the garage - I've had a humming noise coming from the rear end when the car would exceed 50 MPH. VW technician said that it was due to a faulty wheel bearing - on 8000 miles?

The car also has several squeaks and rattles inside - the handbrake button rattles sometimes and the sound actuator buzzes and rattles the dashboard.

My friend has a 40k mile Spanish-built 1.0 TSI beats edition and it feels a bit better finished than my SA built GTI.

VW builds GTIs exclusively in South Africa, probably to capitalise on lower labour costs than in Europe - some things in the car are impressive (the leather on the steering wheel looks as if it came from an Audi) but at places it feels to be built to a price.
Does anyone here have the same experience?
I have a 2020 pre-facelift South African built Polo GTI+ and before that, I owned a 2016 Spanish built previous generation Polo GTI. I’d say that the build quality of the Spanish built car was certainly better than my current car. Body panel shut lines were more uniform, and it just generally felt better quality, more solid and better constructed. Having said that, I’ve only had one very infrequent intermittent rattling / vibrating noise from the interior trim in my current car - only happens on a specific stretch of road and it’s very infrequent.

The rattling handbrake button your car was also an issue on some pre-facelift cars. If you do a search of the forum using the advanced search function at the top right of the forum board, you’ll find various posts from other owners who had this issue (sorry, can’t remember if there was an official VW fix or not). As for the soundaktor vibrating the dashboard; changing the engine sound in the profile settings to ‘eco’ reduces the soundaktor volume and that generally stops the vibration. I dislike the fake engine sound so I’ve had mine set to ‘eco’ in Individual mode in the vehicle profile settings from day one of getting the car 40 months ago and it’s never caused the dashboard to vibrate.
es_paradis
New
Drives: 2023 GTI Pure White

Post by es_paradis »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:04 pm
I have a 2020 pre-facelift South African built Polo GTI+ and before that, I owned a 2016 Spanish built previous generation Polo GTI. I’d say that the build quality of the Spanish built car was certainly better than my current car. Body panel shut lines were more uniform, and it just generally felt better quality, more solid and better constructed. Having said that, I’ve only had one very infrequent intermittent rattling / vibrating noise from the interior trim in my current car - only happens on a specific stretch of road and it’s very infrequent.

The rattling handbrake button your car was also an issue on some pre-facelift cars. If you do a search of the forum using the advanced search function at the top right of the forum board, you’ll find various posts from other owners who had this issue (sorry, can’t remember if there was an official VW fix or not). As for the soundaktor vibrating the dashboard; changing the engine sound in the profile settings to ‘eco’ reduces the soundaktor volume and that generally stops the vibration. I dislike the fake engine sound so I’ve had mine set to ‘eco’ in Individual mode in the vehicle profile settings from day one of getting the car 40 months ago and it’s never caused the dashboard to vibrate.
[/quote]

Thank you - the car is set to Individual (also following the advice I found here) and I already have booked an appointment with an unofficial VW garage, as the dealer cannot simply turn off the fake engine noise when I want to put the car in Sport mode.

The handbrake rattle can be heard only on the worst stretches of the road, and I usually rest my hand on it to keep it quiet :mrgreen:

Having said that, perhaps I'm more annoyed by the faulty wheel bearing, it could have been dangerous. I grew up on this ad :wink:
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 14.35.33.png
Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 14.35.33.png (1.88 MiB) Viewed 940 times
Aidey
New
Drives: 2022 Polo Gti

Post by Aidey »

My car has been into the dealer this week for fault diagnostic and i have a New steering wheel ordered ...

Also the Polo Gti is no good in the snow unfortunately :D :D I slid down a hill today ... trying to get back up it the car spun out quite a lot and failed, also this cause the main unit to switch itself off :shock:
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Aidey wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:07 pm My car has been into the dealer this week for fault diagnostic and i have a New steering wheel ordered ...

Also the Polo Gti is no good in the snow unfortunately :D :D I slid down a hill today ... trying to get back up it the car spun out quite a lot and failed, also this cause the main unit to switch itself off :shock:
It’ll be the tyres that are the problem, not the car, assuming you have summer tyres on your car rather than all season or winter tyres. Snow and wide(ish) low profile summer tyres aren’t a good combination. An all wheel drive VW Golf R - or any other all wheel drive car on summer tyres - is also likely to have problems getting up a steep-ish incline on snow - especially if the snow is packed down hard, turning the surface into sheet ice, although some drivers of large four wheel drive SUV’s seem to think they’re invincible in the ice and snow, even with summer tyres.

I’m quite fortunate that the part of the UK where I live gets very little snow and the winter temperatures usually tend to be quite mild compared to some other parts of the UK so I can get by with summer tyres all year round. I’m also formate that being retired, if the weather’s bad I don’t usually have to drive and my car stays in my garage.

Hope the new steering wheel fixes your ‘Assist’ issues, although be aware that some mk8 Golf owners on other forums have had replacement steering wheels and the fix has been relatively short term (some are now on their third steering wheel! 😮).
Nora
Bronze Member

Post by Nora »

es_paradis wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:56 am Wondering how happy you are with the build quality of your GTIs.
I have just clocked the first 500 miles in the new car, the problem is that the majority of those are to/from the dealership due to minor issues :evil:
First was the software update and CarPlay issue.
Then it was discovered that around 6mm of the tip of the OSR bumper reflector was missing, the dealer tried to say it wasn’t their problem, and they re-sent the pre delivery video to me trying to prove that there wasn’t any problem, however the very shaky mobile phone video actually showed the broken part, which if I chromecast the video from my phone to my tv made the image more accurately showing the broken part.
So back to the dealership, and after presenting the evidence they conceded that they were wrong, and arranged for the part to be ordered and fitted 2 days later while the software issue was investigated. Fast forward 2 days and they’d ordered the wrong part, and said they found no problem with the software, so nothing was fixed.
Fast forward 1 week, and the cars back in the workshop to have the correct new reflector fitted, which apparently took 2 technicians to do, as it wasn’t just a case of pulling the old one out and pushing the new one back in, (wheel off, liner off, to access the inside of the bumper)
By this point the front of house service personnel were very apologetic, and asked if a complimentary hamper would help as a way of compensation, I thought nothing of it as I figured it would never materialise, but 5 days later it actually did. 2 bottles of wine, upmarket snacks, chocolate and biscuits.
Next thing was that when I ordered the car the smoking pack option was added FOC, but when the car was delivered, the smoking pack wasn’t there, so on the day of the handover the salesman pointed it out and said they would refund me the £35 GBP and arrange for the payment to be made to me, however the incompetent of the back office staff meant that the money wasn’t returned despite 2 weeks of emails back and forth, so I said why not just give me a pair of rear rubber mats instead (as I already have the front ones). So today I phoned up the parts dept to confirm that they were there and off I went to the dealership to collect them. After doing some grocery shopping on the way home, I discovered that the new mats are the wrong ones, and are actually for a Polo N9 :roll: so so after a phone call to the parts dept it looks like I have to go back in 2 days time to swop/get the right mats for my car, bearing in mind I already have 2 sets of OEM carpet mats already :roll:

Has anyone else been getting unsolicited phone calls from VW finance recently? The number checks out, but as a cash buyer I don’t know why they would need to call me