Blower Resistor Location / Replacement

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
crispyDilis
New
Drives: Polo 2018 95bhp

Blower Resistor Location / Replacement

Post by crispyDilis »

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anybody had the problem of their ac/heater only working on fan speed 4. Upon looking it up it appears that it might be the Blower Resistor that I need to change. But since the car is still fairly new I haven't seen any useful posts/ videos online detailing how to do it on this specific model.

My car is still under warranty but the latest that my dealership can do this is on 17th of January, which is not really convenient and a pain. So wondering if I can easily do this on my own.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)
silver38
New
Drives: GTi+

Re: Blower Resistor Location / Replacement

Post by silver38 »

Had this happen yesterday, GTI+. Car is 2 years old first week January, not good enough really as this has been happening for years. Should have a heatsink on it or increase in wattage.
Johntheo1
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 MK10 AW1

Post by Johntheo1 »

crispyDilis wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:33 am Hi everyone. I was wondering if anybody had the problem of their ac/heater only working on fan speed 4. Upon looking it up it appears that it might be the Blower Resistor that I need to change. But since the car is still fairly new I haven't seen any useful posts/ videos online detailing how to do it on this specific model.

My car is still under warranty but the latest that my dealership can do this is on 17th of January, which is not really convenient and a pain. So wondering if I can easily do this on my own.

I've had 2 replacements, car, a Polo. no air con, will be 3 years old in Jan. The cabin fan in mine is located in the passenger footwell, if you look up, you should see the resistor pack attached to the fan motor and doesn't seem difficult to replace.
crispyDilis
New

Post by crispyDilis »

silver38 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:23 pm Had this happen yesterday, GTI+. Car is 2 years old first week January, not good enough really as this has been happening for years. Should have a heatsink on it or increase in wattage.
I agree this problem seems very common and quite disappointing for newer cars. I’ve had a proper look around online, and have figured out where to locate the part. Also agree that this needs a redesign.
crispyDilis
New

Post by crispyDilis »

Johntheo1 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:06 pm
crispyDilis wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:33 am Hi everyone. I was wondering if anybody had the problem of their ac/heater only working on fan speed 4. Upon looking it up it appears that it might be the Blower Resistor that I need to change. But since the car is still fairly new I haven't seen any useful posts/ videos online detailing how to do it on this specific model.

I've had 2 replacements, car, a Polo. no air con, will be 3 years old in Jan. The cabin fan in mine is located in the passenger footwell, if you look up, you should see the resistor pack attached to the fan motor and doesn't seem difficult to replace.
Thank you for reply, I was wondering if you did this on your own or had the dealership do it for you? I did find where to replace it and just awaiting a 2nd hand resistor that I can change it with, in the event that it still blows I will have my dealer work on it I guess, just a pain to get it fixed for this minor but irritating problem.
crispyDilis
New

Post by crispyDilis »

If anyone is having the same problem you can download workshop manuals on this link. It should be under heating airconditioning
https://vwts.ru/vw_polo6_aw.html

Also, I have managed to find the genuine part that can be used. This is from SEAT Ibiza but it has the same product code
https://seatdirectparts.co.uk/parts/ibi ... -resistor/

I also had a not so good photo taken, the blower motor is under the passenger footwell, quite accessible but requires a bit of contortionist movements
5F54479E-24F1-433A-9460-FEE2BDCC3656.jpeg
5F54479E-24F1-433A-9460-FEE2BDCC3656.jpeg (4.52 MiB) Viewed 8677 times
The resistor is the white bit on the photo. Hope this helps
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Being a cynical sort of person maybe, it looks like "the fix/improvement" over the years has been to make it more accessible!

Always check the pollen filter and the cabin air inlet areas for blockages as a lack of air flow into the cabin will mean that this dropper resistance block will suffer from a lack of cooling air.
crispyDilis
New

Post by crispyDilis »

RUM4MO wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:33 am Being a cynical sort of person maybe, it looks like "the fix/improvement" over the years has been to make it more accessible!

Always check the pollen filter and the cabin air inlet areas for blockages as a lack of air flow into the cabin will mean that this dropper resistance block will suffer from a lack of cooling air.
Thanks for the additional info, I have also checked the cabin filter and it appears okay. But I think I might also change it to a new one in the hopes that the resistor won't break again
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

crispyDilis wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:37 am Thanks for the additional info, I have also checked the cabin filter and it appears okay. But I think I might also change it to a new one in the hopes that the resistor won't break again
What I forgot to suggest was, when you remove the pollen filter, reach into the heater box with your fingers - if that is possible, and check that the fan blade - and so the fan motor can be spun freely, if the fan bearings are getting a bit stiff, then the drive current will increase and that might be why that speed controller failed - always better to check for that I'd think, along with the air passage into that area etc.
Johntheo1
Bronze Member

Post by Johntheo1 »

Took a few current readings off the blower and got 17,11,6 & 4 amps for speeds 4 (max) to speed 1 (min) and a rough calculation shows that the resistors might generate a combined 0,48,48 & 38 watts for speeds 4 (max) to speed 1 (min), if anyway near the mark shows a fair bit of cooling required to keep the resistor pack at a reasonable temperature, when I next replace one I will measure the resistances before installation or if anyone has a new resistor pack, might measure the 3 resistances and post the values, can then easily calculate the real power absorbed.
It's certainly a bit of a eye opener for me that there can apparently be such high powers in a relatively small resistor pack so air flow is vital as even at speed 1, ~ 38 watts has to be dissipated. Wonder how much savings this antiquated and potentially unsafe speed control is achieving for VAG.
Johntheo1
Bronze Member

Post by Johntheo1 »

I will replace the cabin filter, can someone tell me its location,(mk10 Polo), it looks like either from the drivers footwell or possibly the glovebox

Changed filter, literally 5 minute job, Just swing down glove box cover after releasing two clips, then remove Filter cover (two clips). Filter in good nick (after 3 years and two months and only 14,488 kms). Can see fan with filter removed and it was spotless and spun very easily by hand so no problems there.